Why two iTunes Data files?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ScotRobson, May 2, 2005.

1. ScotRobson macrumors 6502

Hello

In my Music folder I have two iTunes Data files, I presume they hold all the preferences for iTunes but i'm not sure?

One of the files is named iTunes 4 Music Library and the other iTunes 4 Music Library (Old)

My questions are,

1) Why do I have two?

2) Is there anyway to merge them together so I only have one?

3) If I transfer this file over to Tiger when I get it, will that take all my iTunes settings over? and how do I do that? Do I just replace the new one in Tiger with the one (or two) I have now?

Many thanks
    Scot

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I'll bump this one, since I also wonder why there are a binary(?) iTunes 4 Music Library database file AND an iTunes Music Library.xml file. Both getting updated with every song added, edited or played... :confused:

Is it done for backup reasons, so if one of the files get corrupted it can rebuild itself using the other, or what...?

3. zim macrumors 65816

zim

I have: iTunes 4 Music Library, iTunes 4 Music Library (Old) and iTunes Music Library.xml

My original thought was this...
    iTunes 4 Music Library holds any data that refers to organization of iTunes while the xml document just contains the track listings number of times played, where it is located, etc...

If you open the xml you will see the layout for the songs, albums, number of times played, location, Total time, etc... (I have even duplicated the file, swapping the original and modified the duplicated by hand. The modifications that I made were reflected in iTunes). So the other file(s) must just contain info about inserted CDs, and arrangement of items or playlists ??

So I have the same question as the original post... is it safe to dump the Old data file?

4. ScotRobson thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I have the xml file too. I am almost certain that the new Data file appeared after I installed a new version of iTunes a while back.

5. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

I d ont know the exact use of the xml file, but syncOtunes uses it to sync all ur songs if u have the libraries on 2 different computers. So my guess is that its a list of the songs in ur library.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Here are the functions of the 3 files you're all asking about:

iTunes X Music Library: The music library for iTunes version X, stored in its internal format.

iTunes X Music Library (old): This file was created when you upgraded iTunes X to iTunes X.Y, which uses a new internal library format. iTunes updated your music library, then left this file behind as a backup copy. It is safe to delete, since iTunes isn't updating it anymore.

iTunes X Music Library.xml: The music library for iTunes version X, stored in human-readable XML format. This file is present so that third-party applications that need access to the iTunes Library have something they can understand.

iTunes X Music Library.itl: The equivalent of "iTunes X Music Library" on Windows machines.

iTunes X Music Library (old).itl: The equivalent of "iTunes X Music Library (old)" on Windows machines.

7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I have an "iTunes Music Library.bak.xml" file in addition to the regular XML file.... :confused:

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I think iTunes didn't create this one. This file was most likely created by a third-party application that modifies the XML version of the iTunes music library - it modified "iTunes Music Library.xml", then dropped "iTunes Music Library.bak.xml" as a backup copy in case the modifications didn't work as intended.

9. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

Thanks for the info, I have been wondering about this too.

10. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

So, has anyone tried this: If you ditch the xml file, will that be rebuilt by the database file...? And vica versa...?

(Or to ask the question differently: If you want to backup and/or move the library to a new machine/system do you need both the iTunes 4 Music Library and the iTunes Music Library.xml files...?)

11. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I just tried it. Tossing the XML file has no ill effects - iTunes will rebuild it the next time your library is updated (by adding a new song, for example). Tossing the library file, however, causes iTunes to revert to the default music library. Therefore, you only need to transfer "iTunes 4 Music Library" if you're moving from one machine to another. It even works if you're going from a Mac to a Windows machine or from a Windows machine to a Mac!

12. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Thanks wrldwzrd89, that's what I thought, but dared not try... :eek: ;)

13. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Thanks!

I won't bother copying that XML file anymore when I want my other user accounts to get my new playlists etc. (Music is in Shared.)