Why use Safari over Chrome or Firefox?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LeandrodaFL, Jul 26, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

If Im not mistaken 5% of users are Safari. What advantages does this application has over Firefox or Chrome?

Ive been testing Safari and I find Firefox to be way superior. Am I missing something?

2. macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

I have never used safari, except to download firefox and chrome when I first get a new mac. It's been that way for me since day one back in 2005. I've never liked safari. Recent improvements make it almost tolerable but I always thought firefox was superior and now, I find Chrome to be the best. It is faster, cleaner, more compatible, easier to use, and more customizable.

The only browser I would prefer Safari to is Opera.

3. macrumors 68000

Sital

No, you're not.

4. macrumors regular

Tried to think of reasons...

1. Because it is a good browser - may not be as fast as Chrome but good enough, but at least better than Internet Explorer. Fact. Using Safari also means I don't have to download another software which take up few MBs of space on my computer

2. Because its swipe browsing is million times better than Chrome swipe back/forward animations

3. Because its GUI fits Mac OS X better than any other browser. I don't like GUI of Chrome or Firefox.

4. iCloud synchronisation

5. macrumors 601

eXan

This is what bothers me the most in Firefox - its horrible UI and the way it renders text/objects.

A considerable bonus, as my bookmarks stay in sync automatically between my 2 Macs, iPod and iPhone.

Summary: it works faster, looks better, integrates very well, comes pre-installed, what's not to like?

Also, I find it very annoying that FF seems to make a "major update" every month. What version is the current one? 9? 15?

6. macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Chrome is on version 20 something I think... and with chromes syncing you can keep everything on all your devices too. Safari is just very slow to me.

7. macrumors 68020

matrix07

Chrome because of Google.
    Firefox because Safari is smoother (navigating-wise)

8. macrumors 6502

How do you get rid of the ad spam? It seems to be overwhelming me.....

9. macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

what do you mean?

----------

yea, the new Chrome iOS app is great! All my bookmarks, and even open tabs across ass devices, stay in sync

10. macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

I have found Safari to be awful since day one. I have always found it to be slow and buggy. I use Firefox and chrome and have been very happy.

11. macrumors member

Personal preference

Firefox on the Mac has always seemed slow to me. I do have it installed and use it occasionally but Safari has always been my main browser.

Google tracks me enough as it is, without using their browser so I stay away from it. It has nothing i need or want in a browser that Safari does not have.

12. macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Firefox looks and performs like a pile of dog crap.

13. macrumors 6502

I came from the PC world 18 months ago and bought my first Mac. On the PC I use Firefox as my default browser. I assumed so on the Mac but find I like Safari better. it works, it's fast and I find FF slow on the Mac.

14. macrumors 65816

I've always been happy with Safari. Does everything I need it to do and haven't ever had it crash or cause any problems etc. I really don't see the need to change to any other browser.

15. macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
  16. thread starter macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Google is less evil then Facebook..

Apparently, Safari is a very fine browser to the average user, but people who need something extra, like translations or video download extensions, will choose FF/Chrome over Safari

17. macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I've used all three. I started with Firefox and found it slow, and buggy on the Mac. I then went on to Chrome and found it acceptable. But moved on to Safari and only use Chrome for Flash. Generally, I find Safari great for just about everything and just one less thing I have to deal with; I know it will be supported on my mac's no question.

18. macrumors 601

ixodes

Safari is to Apple, as Internet Explorer is to Microsoft. The latest versions of each are good solid browsers.

Beyond that it all depends on your preferences. Although the Windows version of Chrome is better than it's Apple counterpart, I can't happen but wonder if part of the reason is Apple's attack on Google.

Conversely if we set Google "the brand" aside, the reason Chrome for Mac is quite nice, is due to all the Mac users that work on the Chrome project.

If Apple would release their grip on the tenacious desire to carry out the old CEO's desire to destroy Google, I'd bet that suddenly Chrome for Mac would be equal to their Windows version.

19. macrumors newbie

I use Chrome.
    On my Macs, my PCs, my iPhone, my iPad. It syncs everything incredibly well, including bookmarks, tabs, passwords and more.

I liked Safari when it came out for PCs, but the syncing abilities of Firefox, and then Chrome, stopped me from using it.
    I stopped using Firefox because of all the large, massive updates that seemed to slow it down more than help anything. Chrome updates itself frequently, but does so in the background, so I don't seem to notice it.

I also like the customizability of Firefox and Chrome. The add-ons/extensions help me do more with it. I realize that Safari is not as customizable for security reasons, but I'll sacrifice a little security for more oomph.

With Safari now syncing in iCloud, I may take another look at it, but with Google Chrome, it's so very nice that all my data is easily shared by one company across multiple platforms. Again, Safari could now give some of that with iCloud, but I may be too far gone into Chrome to turn back.

Walt D in LV

20. macrumors 65816

Dolorian

I've never been too hot for Safari, I use Chrome exclusively. It is fast, stable, customizable (with many great extensions, themes and apps), has an amazing UI, syncs all my bookmarks and history with Chrome for iOS and is the browser with the best support for modern web technologies (HTML5/CSS3).

Chrome is also full of small but really great and useful features like for example, typing "amazon" in the omnibox and hitting tab will switch to site search mode so that you can make an amazon search right in the bar without having to load the amazon site first. The same works for very much any site you visit that has search. It is a very useful feature that I can't live without in a browser anymore.

That said, I don't think that Safari is a bad browser, I've just always found it tedious to use and rather unstable. The new Safari 6, is a tad disappointing as far as the UI goes, with that massive Reader button in the toolbar that you can't remove, the tabs that always fill the width of the window even if you only have a single tab open, the removal of the download window itself (which happened in the previous version) and the redesigned web inspector. This is all a step in the wrong direction UI wise imo.

21. macrumors 65816

jodelli

Safari's a good browser, but IMHO it's boring.
    I like to get into things and sometimes play around with computer software (and hardware too for that matter) and I can do that with FF and GC.
    Apple just doesn't do things that way anymore.

22. macrumors member

I just got my first Mac a few days ago and I've been using Safari.
    I don't have any problems with it and don't feel the need to try another browser,

Before switching to Mac I used chrome. Before chrome came out, firefox.

23. thread starter macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Tab's close button on the left...this sucks. Mouse is usually on the center of the screen and draggin the cursor to the left of a tab takes more time then to the right...Sarafi= less productivity

24. macrumors regular

iTunes is slow. QuickTime is slow. Safari is slow.

The only reason I'd use Safari is because it's the only browser that plays those cute little animations on Apple's website. That's it.

25. macrumors 65816

Dolorian

Yes and there is also the fact that without favicons the tabs are visually indistinguishable from each other, making it harder for you to quickly spot the tab you want to switch to.