Why We Will Become 1984

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Durandal7, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2001
    American culture is in trapped in a vicious cycle. At the moment it appears that the United States is doomed to look like a 1984 style nation in another century.

The state of our educational system is a disturbing example. There will be dire repercussions when the current grade school generation inherits the country. An entire generation has been conditioned with "zero tolerance policies" and exposed to a bloated bureaucracy during their developmental years. Dissidents are rooted out at an early age and every attempt is made to force them to conform to the norm. The end result will be a population that not only accepts an inefficient government as a fact of life but will be perfectly used to seeing people arrested for no compelling reason. Furthermore, they have become accustomed to seeing the more "troublesome" children be administered mind altering substance (i.e. Ritalin.) The youth have been conditioned to not be bothered by the watchful eye of security cameras. Are these the valuable lessons we should be teaching the children? They appear to be learning very little in the way History, Literature or Mathematics so it stands to reason that too much time is being spent on indoctrinating them with these Orwellian values.

To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin "Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither." This is a lesson that all should take to heart. A paranoia driven frenzy has allowed the government to enact laws to monitor us and without answering to anyone but themselves. The Patriot act was only the beginning, this World War has only began and over the next decade the paranoia of the public will deepen and more invasive laws will be passed.

Political interest groups controlled by the major parties manage to keep most free speech in the national media under control. When something comes along that the political groups disapprove it is branded as "revisionist history," "right-wing fanaticism" or "left-wing communism." In this way control of the entire government as well as the national media is consolidated in the hands of a very few.

Original thought has been sacrificed. People have been tricked by the political establishment into holding specific political opinions. Our two-party system is ruled by two parties with the identical goals of expanding the government exponentially and quashing any independent party movements. The public has been for the most part shepherded into two convenient groups by sly politicians.

Why is it that a conservative must believe in an entire set of beliefs, why must a liberal be saddled with the entire "liberal agenda"? Is it any coincidence that political opinions have been assigned to geographic areas? The truth that appears to be emerging is that there is very little difference between Republican and Democrat politicians. No progress is ever made towards these supposed conservative or liberal ideals once a politician is elected, campaign promises always evaporate. Perhaps the country has been divvied up between the parties so a lack of progress can be chalked up to partisan resistance.

Regardless of what you have been told, both parties are supported by massive corporations and these corporations have an enormous amount of say in policies. A very select few essentially have control over the entire federal government and the media. The American people are pawns.

The name of the game is control and we as a people are losing the game.
  2. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    I think you are right, but I think the name of the game is pay-to-play. Money drives our political system Without large campaign donations, you might as well stay at home. Your agenda will not be pushed.
  3. job macrumors 68040

Jan 25, 2002
    in transit
    Your vote is a voice.

With the advent of more Americans no longer voting straight party tickets, the chances for Democrats and Republicans having to share political power becomes greater and as a result a Oceana/Eurasia situation becomes less likely.

Due to complex moral issues (think abortion) and complex diversity of American politics, more Americans consider themsevles as 'Independents' now than ever have in the past. I would concur that this follows from the claim that both parties are too similar; therefore voters see no real distinction between either. Ignoring the extremes on either side, the vast majority of the American people hold complex opinions on political topics. With regards to the national media under control of the major parties, who cares? The better educated people are, the better they can form their own opinions.

Also, 75% of all campaign promises pass into law. ;) That is a fact.
  4. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2001
    Keep in mind what I have said about the upcoming generation. Resistance to an Orwellian dictator will be limited due to the indoctrination of these values from an early age:
    * Authority should be expected to conduct illegal search and seizures and inflict harsh punishments with no explanation.
    * The Government should be expected to be a massive bureaucracy that accomplishes nothing.
    * Always expect to be under the watchful electronic eye of those in charge.
    * Those who stir up too much trouble will probably be administered mind altering substances so they conform more to the norm.

By the time they are voting age and the politicians decide that these would make good public policy they will have become used to it. This is a dangerous situation, we are faced with a future where the general public is apathetic to the erosion of civil liberties.

A private school in New York has already decided it will be a good idea to RFID tag all of the students.
  5. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2002
  6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    We coming upon BIG BROTHER just as quick as we are towards redacting the stories, history, and dictionary of the nation.

Big Brother says this word bad, stop using it... or you'll have to pay party x a stiff civil penalty.
  7. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002
    very possible. but i hold out hope that there will be widespread and effective reaction against it.

push too hard, and the public might just push back.
  8. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2001
    I kid you not:

"Stillman has gone whole-hog for radio-frequency technology, which his year-old Enterprise Charter School started using last month to record the time of day students arrive in the morning. In the next months, he plans to use RFID to track library loans, disciplinary records, cafeteria purchases and visits to the nurse's office. Eventually he'd like to expand the system to track students' punctuality (or lack thereof) for every class and to verify the time they get on and off school buses."
  9. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2002
    Holy crap. That's scary. No doubt government officials are watching very closely to see how this test case pans out. If I were a parent of a child at that school I would make sure my child didn't participate or I would pull them out of the school. That's ridiculous. I bet there are many people who do not see the long term implications of such a system. When a person can be tracked all day, every day, where does privacy go? Why does anyone need to know where I am every second of every day? It's the principle for goodness sake. Unfortunately the people will not be forced into programs like these, they will follow like lemmings to their own demise.

10. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2001
    I propose that a new amendment be added to the constitution to prevent some of these problems before they occur:

Amendment XXVIII

Section 1.
    The government shall under no circumstances require a physical object to be carried on the person of a citizen of the United States not convicted or suspected of a felony with the intent of monitoring or tracking activities, location or communications.

Section 2.
    The monitoring of any communications, electronic or otherwise, shall require a warrant.

Section 3.
    The Federal government shall not under any circumstances force a person to be exposed to chemical or biological substances against their will.

Section 4.
    The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Section 1 would keep Federal RFID tags from ever coming along. Section 2 would preserve free speech on the internet and nullify things like the Patriot Act. Section 3 would prevent the use of mind-altering drugs on enemies of state, it also seems likely it could be a concern in the near future for the general public.

Civil rights in the 21st century...
  11. alxths macrumors 6502

Apr 3, 2003
    I agree about the majority of americans being pawns; but that doesn't necessarly mean that we're doomed to slavery, but that our destiny can be controlled by a small amount of people. It only takes one good leader to sway the masses in any which direction.

As an example, consider the natural tendency to rebel against yoru enforeced values which comes about in adolescence. Consider the hippy movement in the sixties as a backlash to the need for 'every american to do their part in ensuring that our great nation prevails over the communist threat.'

So even a few bright people coming out of a school system that enforces orwelian values, could see the negative aspects of such a system and thus strive to prevent it.

Keep in mind that i'm not necessarly disagreeing with you, but just saying that there are alternatives.