Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
I would hope that by moving to intel they would now stop the TOP SECRET attitude they have towards their computer line. I mean we all know what chips are available now right away so whats the point of secrecy?

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
MacTruck said:
I would hope that by moving to intel they would now stop the TOP SECRET attitude they have towards their computer line. I mean we all know what chips are available now right away so whats the point of secrecy?

hype. one of apple's biggest things is hype. if they didn't have the interest and buzz from it they'd move towards being "just another pc maker".

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
everyone look forward to every toms hardware intel announcement to me front page material....

toomuchstereo

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2005
If you look at the World of Warcraft Mac Tech Forum Blizzard states that they are going to be putting a patch out that will run WOW on X86 Mac's, they will not have to put out a new CD set. It simply installs under rosetta, then patches to be completely X86. If blizzard can do this with a game, we might see alot of the same thing with current PPC software, so people don't have to buy new copies. I personally just can't imagine Apple introducing a Core Duo ibook, and by doing so making the iBook faster than the powerbook

Here is the link to the WOW forum on this topic.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-mac-tech-support&t=1323&p=1&tmp=1#post1323

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
:confused: I wasn't expecting anything different, I'd be extremely annoyed at any company that tried to sell you a new version for x86. We're talking about a recompile... a minor patch.

kingcrowing

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2004
Burlington, VT
you are prolly right about new powerbooks, but I hope you arent, I just spent $2500 on a new car instead of getting a new powerbook, so if they are super nice I'll be mad, but then I'll go driving really fast and be happy again lol

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
bigandy said:
hype. one of apple's biggest things is hype. if they didn't have the interest and buzz from it they'd move towards being "just another pc maker".

Hype was easy when they were on totally different architecture and CPUs but now apple is using standard pc stuff. They are really going to have to innovate to stay ahead now.

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
What the is with all the people saying "continue selling PPC powerbooks alongside...". Do you really think pro users don't already have PPC computers? If you are going to be using the older architecture, surely you would've owned and used those macs already. My bet is powerbooks tomorrow.

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
:rolleyes: Thank goodness Apple is run by a pragmatic person and not a intel hating wingnut.
4 times faster what more do you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.