Why Weren't We Told This?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Dec 27, 2006.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://www.counterpunch.org/

Interesting, eh?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think this is where the article goes fundamentally wrong. U.S. policy in the ME? Based on a premise? Someone is giving someone else a little too much credit. Considering the administration's motive is like doing psychoanalysis of why a three-year-old snatched candy out of her playmate's hands. You might get an "answer" but its ultimate value to you will be nill.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Makes me think the same guys printing this stuff up were the ones telling the President they had WMDs:confused: Cheney /Bush were so informed about things in Iraq and yet they didnt have 1 person on the ground in the whole country:confused: Im convinced Washington's beauracracy doesnt even care. Stay the course because this president is never is wrong. I dont think they care they dont know what the facts are.

4. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Well ****. Now I don't know what to believe.

If it's true, then how could our esteemed leaders possibly **** up so huge?

If it's not true, then where the hell are these numbers coming from and what the hell is going on over there?

I'd say we have a literal SNAFU here. Situtation Normal: All ****ed Up.

Goddamn Bush. :mad:

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

yes.

6. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

It certainly would explain the scale of the "insurgency".

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Is there a difference between a Iraqi and a Insurgent?

8. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

9. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

have you been able to verify these numbers?

a quick look around on google didn't turn up anybody else claiming these numbers.....or is this simply another case of the great international conspiricy keeping a really tight control on things? ;)

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

There has to be. "insurgents" stock pile weapons and use them against fellow iraqis and american troops, regular citizens do not.

11. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Whose definition are you relying on? I expect most Iraqis have a weapon for personal defence. When does this change into an insurgent's weapon?

12. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

The links are in the article, but I have not checked them, as my Arabic is a bit rusty. The second one does not seem to work.

13. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

oh well.......since these numbers don't match up with anything found in any standard reference sources it seemed worth looking into.....but after some more hunting around I was unable to find anything to support these numbers.

I did find a National Public Radio, Morning Edition report from Dec 21. The report is about Sunni leadership issues in iraq and toward the end is the following;

"...But the Sunni have failed to articulate what they stand for and what role they see for themselves in post-Saddam Iraq. Many Sunnis still claim that they are the majority in the country even though all estimates say they make up, at most, 20 percent of the population...."

so it seems that your article may simply be a reflection of that view

the NPR report is at;
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6655613

anyway, one very obvious problem with the Ziada article is that in order to make his claim he has to assume that ALL eligible voters who didn't vote, must have been Sunni.

14. Queso macrumors G4

Interesting indeed, although the possible massive electoral fraud is hardly a revelation. If it happens in long-established "democracies" such as the US and UK, you can't expect it to be any better where elections are a new thing.

15. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

That means all of the US gun owners are insurgents... woohoo... :eek: :eek: :eek:

16. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Don't remember the wild days of the year 2000 eh? Florida, Ohio, what's next?

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Not really. To be fair, he did say that not only did you have to stockpile weapons, but you had to use them against your neighbors to qualify as an insurgent.

Not many US gun owners attack their neighbors with their guns. Sure a few do, but a small percentage of the overall owning crowd.