why windoze xp sucks and mac os rocks

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Keebler, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

Ok..i know these types of posts happen all the time.
    my story: i have 2 macs and a peecee for my business. the latter is used for the business side of things so the macs run files etc.. (video transfer business).

so i need to send a fax...and i've never set up windoze to do it. fine...i find the instructions, follow them....and it asks for winxp service pack 2 CD. I only have the original SP1 CD. so i sigh and go to microsoft's site, figuring hey, maybe i can dload something. i find more instructions...they say the same thing. I don't have the sp2 install exe on my peecee so essentially, down the proverbial creek i am.

i say, ok...i print the file into a pdf. hop onto my mac and grab the file from my peecee over the network. type in 'fax' in the help.
    boom..instructions..ok... i connect my G4's internal modem to my line...follow instructions.

done.
    sent..2x's to be safe.

everything worked....took about 1 minute 10 seconds, including time to find my old modem cable and connect it.

my lord microsoft sucks. why does everything have to be pulling out teeth!?!?!!

2. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

3. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

I agree with ya. Microsoft never make something easy-even installing updates needs downloading more software-even with the latest SP2 Windows installation.

4. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

no built in pdf support, no support for disk images, no support for decompression of anything but zip......

windows just wants you to get annoyed with third party software bugging you to register.

5. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Also, windows takes FOREVER to come out with new service packs. Wasn't service pack 3 due to come out like 6 months ago?

6. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Man...I don't know Jack about Windows...I think I need to take a class about it...

My computer knowledge is all OS X....kind of sucks in the Windows world..

For example, what are "service packs?" is that like tiger, panther ect...?

Windows is soo complicated and unintuitive...it hurts my brain...

7. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Service Packs are like updates...except they come out as often as a new Mac OS 10.x and come with much, much less...

8. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Yeah, they are. Except they're free. ;)

And before anyone jumps down my throat, I am just kidding! I know that Tiger, Panther, etc. consist of much more than service-pack-level updates.

9. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Stupid question but,

THe original poster said

"I don't have the sp2 install exe on my peecee so essentially, down the proverbial creek i am."

If they are free....why was he down a proverbial creek ? :eek:

10. jdechko macrumors 68040

A class might be good, if only for your knowledge should you ever be required to work in a Windows environment in the corporate world.

Anyway, service packs are more like the updates to Tiger/Panther/etc. Like the current one is 10.4.7 (IIRC). The .7 upgrade is akin to a service pack (though service packs are much bigger and there are fewer of them).

11. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

12. CNU182 macrumors regular

a number of reasons..some peoples computers crap out when installing the update due to faulty software/hardware like any computer. This is especially the case when runnning an old(er) pirated version of XP. Just those two reasons are enough for people to stray from such a move. The old, if it aint broke don't fix it saying. Or he could just be lazy.

I for one, don't have any machines that I work on without sp2

13. Timepass macrumors 65816

SP3 never was slated to come out or put in the works. As for getting sp2 go to the start menu>all programs>check for updates. If you dont have SP2 it will be listed in those updates.

14. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

He didn't need the file, he needed the CD with Service Pack 2, which from my experience, requires that you buy a new copy of XP.

15. CNU182 macrumors regular

Will it recognize a slipstreamed sp2 disk?

16. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

just this last weekend I was staying with friends after coming back from a trip and wanted to show them some pictures from my digital camera. I only had the USB cable, so I figured I could make a slideshow with their XP computer....right?....wrong. It took me so long to find slideshow commands. I know part of that is my own fault, but apparently you have to open one of the pictures in a folder of pics to get the slideshow controls. That doesn't seem logical to me. There was no menu choice or toolbar button or anything for slideshows! In Tiger, all you have to do is fire up iPhoto or choose slideshow right from the finder!

17. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

My step dad was getting all frustrated because his machine refused to allow him to send him an email.

I let him use my iBook. done in 10 seconds. :D

18. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

the solution...

thought i would post back with the results:

i did post a msg on the winxp forum. of course, after my question, i so obnoxiously and truthfully stated the time it took me to get this done on my mac :)

anyhoo, the answer..as one poster asked...why was i down the creek? Not b/c the updates are free, but b/c i needed the cd. the suggested solution is to dload the sp2 file, burn to a cd and then try that.

so my solution is this: i would LIKE to install it, but it's not a die hard NEED.
    therefore, i'll simply wait until i need to reinstall, which is not too far away b/c this is winxp after all. you need to reinstall every 6 months i find :) when i reinstall, i'll load that darn option just for the fun of it.

can you believe that? i would have to dload what is probably a very large file, burn to a CD and then try it.

D U H !!!!

you know, there is a huge debate about buying hopefully discounted pm G5s in a month when the new versions are supposed to be announced vs buying new versions. my thought: ANY MAC IS BETTER THAN A PEECEE!!!

:)

19. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

I have to install extra Windows Components on my Intel Mac in order to run .NET. It won't read the XP disc (which it needs to install any additional component) pain in the ass.

20. Mikael macrumors regular

I posted this in another thread, but I might as well post it here, where it belongs:

Interesting. I've never sent a fax from Windows, so I decided to try it and see if it's as complicated as you said. I begun with a simple search for the word "fax" in the Windows help. I was instructed to add the fax function through the control panel. Just like you, I was asked for the CD during the install. Popped in the XP install CD and pressed the OK button. Done. Started the fax application, filled in my info, chose modem and the text I wanted to fax and off it went. Took less than five minutes in total. But, okay, it's kind of bad if Windows didn't indicate that the file can be found on any Windows install CD. My Windows install, even though it's WinXP SP2, didn't ask specifically for the SP2 files, though. Go ahead and try the XP install CD if you ever need to fax from a Windows machine again. I'm sure it will work just fine.

21. andy89 macrumors 6502

fo shizzle?

22. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

Mikael,
    um.... not sure where this is coming from. not to be smart aleck, but did you read my original post? i did exactly that. i have the winxp install cd for sp1. it kept asking for the sp2 install cd...which of course i don't have. and i have sp2 installed. it couldn't find the files on the cd b/c they weren't on that cd...plain and simple. :confused:

23. Mikael macrumors regular

You never said that you tried the SP1 install CD. For your reference, here's what you wrote:

Sorry, man. I'm looking, but I can't find the part where you said that you put the SP1 CD in the tray. You know, it's usually a good thing to read one's post twice before telling others to do so. Plain and simple, I guess.

It sounds strange that your particular install wouldn't find the required file in the i386 folder on the install CD, but, hey, I guess anything is possible.

24. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

you know what...you are right....i didn't say i put it in the tray, but for crying out loud, what idiot wouldn't try the cd??? seriously everyone else who read this post probably figured that out :) however, for me to say that "it asks for winxp service pack 2 CD" would indicate that I would have to try something? lol

the pop up window keeps asking for d\:i386, but b/c it's not sp2 cd..doesn't work.

if i knew i wouldn't somehow need the cd in the future b/c God knows, Xp will surely need a re-install, I would mail it to you to try :)

25. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

You could just point it to the downloaded SP2 files. It wants to update some files and because the system is already at SP2 level, it doesnt want to take older files from the SP1 CD and use those so it asks for windows with SP2 or you can just point to the SP2 files which are free to download.