Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QateB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2015
Qatar, Middle East, Asia
Hi all,

I am a new user here; I live and work in Qatar, but we don't have a dedicated Apple Store here and instore assistance is not available with the retailers.

I have a MacBook Air and use Apple Mail. I pretty much know how to use it; it's quite intuitive. However, if I get an email with an attachment and use the "Save Attachment..." command, I can select the location on my hard drive and apparently save it there; but when I go look; it's not there.

The workaround is to open Finder, find the directory and do Drag and Drop which is laborious.

Do you know what I am doing wrong?

Kind regards

Kate

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Hi all,

I am a new user here; I live and work in Qatar, but we don't have a dedicated Apple Store here and instore assistance is not available with the retailers.

I have a MacBook Air and use Apple Mail. I pretty much know how to use it; it's quite intuitive. However, if I get an email with an attachment and use the "Save Attachment..." command, I can select the location on my hard drive and apparently save it there; but when I go look; it's not there.

The workaround is to open Finder, find the directory and do Drag and Drop which is laborious.

Do you know what I am doing wrong?

Kind regards

Kate

Not sure but it sounds like it's storing it somewhere you don't expect. When you save an attachment have you tried searching for it with Spotlight to see if it's showing in the file system? If Spotlight finds it you can verify that the folder you selected is the one where it went. If you save the file to the downloads folder instead of selecting a folder does it go to the downloads?

QateB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2015
Qatar, Middle East, Asia
Not sure but it sounds like it's storing it somewhere you don't expect. When you save an attachment have you tried searching for it with Spotlight to see if it's showing in the file system? If Spotlight finds it you can verify that the folder you selected is the one where it went. If you save the file to the downloads folder instead of selecting a folder does it go to the downloads?
Hi Glen,

I found it by doing a Spotlight search; but could not get that to show me the location; so I tried searching for it in Finder and lo-and-behold it has saved it to Mail Downloads in Library.

So I had another go at saving it...
My method was to two-finger click on the attachment; choose Save As and then navigate to the location I want to save it to and hit Save. Only it doesn't; it seems that there is a field with the Folder that it will save it to; and I have to make sure that that field is showing correctly.

This is very quirky; is there an easier way?

Best wishes
Kate

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
When I right click an attachment and select Save attachment... I get the following popup. My default location generally shows Documents or the previous folder I was saving to. When you select that, what is showing in the Where: box? If you expand the dialog (down arrow to the right of the filename) can you select a another folder? For some reason it sounds like you're getting a different dialog. Lastly, which version of OS X are you using?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-18 at 12.14.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-18 at 12.14.04 PM.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 129

Michael Anthony

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2012
Australia
It can take a bit of time for the attachment to download over your internet connection before you can actually save the file icon from Apple Mail to your desktop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.