Why Won't IE Work?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by zroll1, Jan 31, 2004.

1. zroll1 macrumors newbie

Nov 1, 2003
    My Internet Explorer won't work. I click on it in the dock and it bounces a couple times then justs stops. It doesn't open or bring up a message. It just stops. So I have tried replacing it with another IE, upgrading it, and deleting and downloading a new one. But I only have messed with the app. I don't know where all the hidden files or the prefs are. So if anybody has any suggestions or could let me know where these things are it would be great.
  2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    You have to ask why a Microsoft product won't work? Sorry, I had to say that.

Preferences are in your user->library->preferences folder. Or find it the easy way and search in finder--command F--for internet explorer. It'll throw up a few files, and one will be the preferences. Delete that and you'll probably be okay. If not, then use disk utility to repair permissions.
  3. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    Perhaps this is a sign -- a sign to switch browsers! IE is very poor in comparison with current OS X browser offerings, such as Safari. Granted, it's compatible with everything, but it's quite slow and clunky.
  4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    ...and allows pop-ups! :eek: :rolleyes:
  5. zroll1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 1, 2003
    I Agree

I totally agree. I use Safari for everything and I love it. But there are certain things such as college assignments that I can't access through Safari and am forced to use IE.
  6. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Re: Why Won't IE Work?

It sounds like you might want to follow the suggestion of RowerCPU at the bottom of this thread.

Does anyone know where the Favorites for IE are found in Mac OS 9? I want to import them into the Panther IE.
  7. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    Re: I Agree

Try the User Aget switcher in the Debug menu.

If you don't already have it, input this into a Terminal window:

defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1
    Restart Safari, check the MS IE 6 user agent in the menu and give it a shot.