Why won't my iMac go to sleep???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TheFreshPrince, Feb 28, 2006.

1. TheFreshPrince macrumors member

It used to go to sleep without any problems after 20 mins or whatever I had set it to, but recently it won't do it. I repaired permissions, zapped the PRam and turned off my 3rd party screen saver but still no change.

Any ideas? It's getting annoying. :confused:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It won't go to sleep through the Apple menu or it just won't go to sleep after a set amount of time? Is there a device connected (Bluetooth or cable) or an app running (smoe form of media player or chronic downloader) that could be keeping her up? :)

3. TheFreshPrince thread starter macrumors member

I currently have only Safari and activity monitor running and no devices connected. I can't work this out. :(

4. TheFreshPrince thread starter macrumors member

It will go to sleep if I select that in the Apple menu, just not automatically after a set amount of time.

5. HughJ macrumors regular

My eMac did exactly teh same thing a while ago i tried everything i could think of, the only way to reinstall the OS

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

do you have any USB Hub connected or anything connected to your computer? i have this same problem and i think its because these devices are waking it up... i only have this problem when i try to put it alseep but its goes to sleep on its own.

Bless

7. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    Mine's doing this too! I wasn't sure if it really was, but now I think it is... it's also an iMac G5... hmm... Mac OS X Feedback, anyone?

edit: okay submitted feedback.

My iMac doesn't have anything plugged into it besides my HP Deskjet 5740.. which has always been plugged in. This started happening after I installed the 10.4.5 update, I believe.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Strangely, I had this in 10.4.4 but it was resolved in 10.4.5.

FWIW, an SMU reset fixed the problem for me, albeit temporarily. :eek:

9. TheFreshPrince thread starter macrumors member

Hmmmm, cool, I'll try that when I get home from work tonight and let you know how it goes!

10. TheFreshPrince thread starter macrumors member

Well, I tried it, but it didn't fix my problem. I think I'll just have to put it to sleep manually from now on. I don't think I'll bother reinstalling the whole OS just to fix this.

Still, it's a pain when things don't work perfectly as they once did.:(

11. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

I've heard that if Internet Sharing is on, it prevents the computer from sleeping, but I tried turning it off and it didn't help, so I don't know what's up.

12. Apple macrumors 6502

Apple

Why dont you try one of the preset apple power settings and see if it goes to sleep then

13. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Ok, I did, we'll see what happens in a few minutes.

edit: Didn't help, although for some reason, it woke up when I plugged in the phone line... something it used to do but hasn't for a long time. It didn't do it just a second ago when I plugged it in, though.

14. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

It is not tired.

Ok I am tired and going to be sorry about the lame joke.:cool:

15. airlinerart macrumors newbie

Re the SMU

DO NOT repeat DO NOT reset the SMU. It's one of those things that can do more harm than good. Only do it if you have tech support or are prepared to fiddle about for a long time. I tried it on my iMac G5 and the fan came on full speed straight away after resetting it and never went off! I managed to resolve it by resetting the SMU again but it never solved the no auto sleep issue. Just cause its on the Mac site doesn't mean it's a good thing.

16. kathmat macrumors member

Mac won't sleep

Did anyone ever come up with a solution to this? Mine OSX 10.6.1, just started doing the same thing last night and since I keep my computer in the bedroom, we had to cover the monitor with a pillowcase (just the front) to shut out the light. Most annoying, and I don't want to have to turn it off every night when I have files opened albeit saved and working on that I will just have to start opening up and positioning (primarily Photoshop) all over again. Not to mention losing your history if you close a Photoshop file that you are working on.:(

17. Arthagnan macrumors regular

18. kathmat macrumors member

Why won't my iMac go to sleep?

LOL - no, but my daughter did spill an entire Sunkist on hers once and from that time on her name at Best Buy became "Sunkist." Needless to say the computer was not too thrilled with it's unrequested bath!

I am going to take it (the Mac) into the Apple store next week though, as it has also started to sporadically make a loud throbbing sound (not sure how to explain it) and I suspect it is either the hard drive or the fan - dunno?? The little darling is only 5 months old, but since I make my living as a digital artist I cannot afford to have the thing crash on me.
    :D

19. ziggar macrumors newbie

20. kathmat macrumors member

Why won't my iMac go to sleep?

Well today when I went online to make my appt. for the Apple store, it was suggested on the request page that I download an update/patch that they had there and see if it would solve whatever problem I was having. Some generic fix, or cure all I guess. I did just that (but made my appointment anyway,) and so far... it has been going to sleep. I had muted the sound though so I don't know if that pulsating brrrrrrrrrrrrr sound has happened or will happen again. I will turn it on this evening when I am in the bedroom and close at hand should it occur.

I also have two printers connected to my Mac, a small Epson Photo and an Epson wide format. I disconnected the wide format and I am really trying to trouble shoot the problem as best as I can. You know my one wish with all these computers is that they provide more USB ports. Attached to my Mac I have as said - two printers, a scanner, a Wacom tablet, camera, iPod, & a portable hard drive. Some of these items have to be connected to a hub, some (like the Wacom tablet and the "Passport," just won't/can't work unless plugged directly into the main unit, so what is one to do? I don't know if conflicts arise out of this so it is an ongoing adventure. Not so much fun.

Thanks for the link - I will monitor my "sleep" situation and see what happens, and will share any info I might glean out of my visit to the "Genius Bar" next week.