Why won't my iSight work with my AIM/AOL buddies? (intel iMac)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by M. Malone, Apr 2, 2006.

1. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

I got my intel iMac, love the isight, but it just won't work with my windows friends who are running the LATEST software from AIM or AOL, I can't one way with them, or even have a video conference, at all. how can I get it to work? thanks

2. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

The only reason I can think that it might disallow starting any sort of video chat with Windows AIM buddies is that AIM only supports video chatting on Windows XP.

3. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

4. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

It works with me. I ahve iChat and a friend of mine is on AIM. It works, but it works so so so bad i wish it didn't work at all.

I am waiting for Skype 2.0 to be released for mac. I use 2.0 on windows and it handles video chat very well, much better than AIM

5. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

I'm running the latest iChat, I really wish this video thing can work smoothly

6. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

khisayruou

7. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

BTW, your problem may very well be fixed by the recent 10.4.6 update. IIRC, there was something about iChat video connections in the fixes.

8. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

The tutorial is just excellent, everything was fine on my end, my friend had to follow the firewall steps, I got as far as getting video with no sound, not bad progress! we both couldn't hear each other, I may have to look deeper into it, but this tutorial is great, it will become more important as more people get macs with built in iSights...thanks :D