Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pomme

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
Vermont
Hi everyone,

Strange question. I spent over an hour on hold with Apple tech support only to have my question go unanswered, so I'm turning to my resident experts.

I have a MacBook bought in August that I've been using without any problems for a few months now. It's never had a problem connecting to the internet via wireless — in fact, I'm sitting in my college's library right now typing away, happy as a clam. A few weeks ago, though, my roommate and I moved into a new apartment. We went in on internet with our neighbors, and bought a router that's installed in another girl's apartment. At first, I was able to connect via wireless. It wasn't a great connection, and the internet would stop working every now and then even though Airport showed a full signal. If I turned Airport on and off, it would come back for a bit.

We finally got a password put on the wireless account, and now my Airport shows a full signal at home, but every time I try to load a page in Safari or Firefox I can't connect to the internet. I've done all of my system updates, firmware updates, etc. My roommate is using a Macbook bought about fourteen months ago and isn't having any trouble at all. When we moved to the password protection we set up our internet connections at exactly the same time, in exactly the same way. No luck. We're both pretty confused.

Any ideas or suggestions? I'm absolutely befuddled.

Kalafut

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
pocatello
i don't know if this will help, but some routers only let a certain amount of people on the router, and the rest get self assigned IP's, i have the same problem at my friends house, and you might want to install the routers program on your comp maybe that will fix things. and try unplugging your router from the wall for a few mins.

sorry your having trouble.

Pomme

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
Vermont
We went in on internet with a few of the other girls in our apartment building — and sadly don't have the LAN line in our apartment. So no luck there, at least not for the long run. (I'm on my roommate's computer at this point.)

I'll look into installing the router software. Any other suggestions? I'm confused as to why this worked just fine (although my connection WAS sketchier than my roommate's all along) until we assigned the password to the account.

Gretschmann

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2010
Montreal
Hello all,

I did what Johngalt1945 recommended in the thread above but i still can`t log to the internet.
I set IPv4 to manual and was able to get a airport signal but I still have a ! in my airport signal on the menu bar. I really don`t know what to do.

I have a 2007 macbook and I have the 10.6.6 version.

I also have the same situation as other member here on this thread, I can log to the internet when I am at work, no problem but not at home.

I hope somebody can help me.
Thanks
:cool:

craigrussell17

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2011
Solution

I had the same problem. Macbook would not connect to wireless OR ethernet. Here is what worked for me.

1. type in to web browser (depending on router brand) 192.168.1.1
2. copy the SUBNET MASK number
3. Go to SYSTEM PREFERENCES-NETWORK-ADVANCE- TCP/IP Tab, then type in the SUBNET MASK number you found from your router and APPLY
4. RENEW DHCP LEASE-APPLY

This worked AFTER I went through the steps John provided about "renewing."
Hope this helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.