why won't panther launch certain apps?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by robots r gr8, Nov 16, 2003.

1. robots r gr8 macrumors newbie

hmmm... this is an odd problem. panther refuses to launch certain apps. i double-click the app icon, and the file looks as if it is about to launch... but then nothing happens? any ideas?

thanks in advance.

ps. this mostly affects smaller apps. like freeware. big software (like photoshop and word) work flawlessly.

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Is this stuff that you had running under an old OS that broke after upgrading, or are you having problems with newly installed/downloaded programs?

One possibility: A recent Stuffit Expander release (there has since been an update) had a problem where it would fail to mark extracted files as executable. Since OS X programs are really directories with the executable goodies hiding inside, affected programs won't appear to be messed up at a casual glance, and they can fail just as you describe.

3. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i'm having the same problem. yesterday i tried to install Toon Boom Studio V.1 and it just quite after startup.

it's probably because Panther is new and has alot of changes. the apps you're having problems with just need to be updated. i don't think there's much you can do until a updated version of the apps are released.

are you using the latest version of the apps? if the version was released after Panther it would be a bit strange that it wouldn't work. but it's still possible that a few bugs might have gone unnoticed.

4. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Did you do a clean install or an archive and install? The latter has been the main source of Panther problems. Or maybe the apps just aren't compatible with Panther. One app I use daily (Ulysses) isn't ready yet. I didn't realize this until after I upgraded to Panther. Fortunately, by checking the support forum at the developer's website, I was able to find a temporary workaround until a Panther version is released sometime this month. Smaller, shareware-type apps may not get nearly as much feedback to the developer. Maybe you should contact them and let them know your problem. They might not know there's any issue.

5. James.Paul macrumors regular

I have had the same problem when I have been trying to use fontbook with my collection of 2900 typefaces. It renders my dual G5 as virtually unusable and clicking an icon to start an app (such as mail or safari) produces a few bounces then nothing. Removing the fonts cleared the problem for me. It must be something to do with the memory as I only have the 512mb factory fitted. Am ordering 4gb from crucial this week, much cheaper.

6. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

i am having the same problem with fireworks mx 04 it loads up then just shuts down i do get the apple bug thing though do any of you guys get that its dam anoying

7. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I get that bug window when apps crash. I don't remember that in early releases of Jaguar. Damn annoying. There ought to be a way to turn that off, but I don't know of one.

8. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I'm kinda surprised that most of you apparently haven't checked the vendor's Website! :) That's always the first thing I do.

I'd run into this one as well - there's a hotfix downloadable from macromedia.com.

http://www.macromedia.com/support/general/ts/documents/macos_10_3.htm

9. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

i did do that lol :) still didnt solve the problem and yes this is a fresh install of panther

followed the gudie from macromedia
    still didnt work
    no great loss really its a demo after all

10. robots r gr8 thread starter macrumors newbie

hello everyone... thanks for all of the help.

well, i've done some experimenting. first off, updating stuffit expander to 8.0.1 helps. depcompress the troublesome files with 8.0.1 and then try to launch them. i had some success. stuff that didn't work before (like most of those little freeware apps that i mentioned), now does. however, certain files remain unusable (including the dreamweaver mx 2004 demo). the macromedia thing might be fixable here:
    http://www.macromedia.com/support/service/ts/documents/mac_archive_install.htm
    i haven't tried it yet... i'll give it a go tonite and post the results.
    thanks again for all your help!

11. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

the macromedia update didnt help me with fireworks but weird how my demo of dreamweaver works hmm let us know how it goes

12. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

During the upgrade or Install or whatever some files can get corrupted. First of all, check if you have the latest version. If not, update. Check on the vendor's site if there is a known conflict of that app with Panther. If there is, check for an update. If there isn't an update, you're just going to have to wait.

If the vendor says the app works perfectly with Panther and you have the latest version, consider trashing all the related files by going to Finder and 'Find' any file with the name of the app and deleting it. This should get rid of any potential corrupted files. Then reinstall the app.

If it still doesn't work, go to VersionTracker(.com) and search for the app and look at the discussions to see if people are having problems with the app using Panther.

irmongoose

13. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

thanks irmongoose sadly iam going to have to wait a while by the looks of things oh well.. iam updted to the max.
    and ive stripped everyting out twice now hmm just going to have to wait a while thats all..