Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Anyone want to hazard a guess as to why this wont play on my ATV?

Is it because its over 4GB?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    59.5 KB · Views: 81

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Your screen resolution is too high for videos.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

You actually could do that resolution at 24 fps, I believe with an H264.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
I dont think its the res because I have other stuff at higher 1280x720 that works and it is 25fps.

My guess is it is too big which is really going to piss me off because I will have to transcode the bugger (again) and lose some quality to make it smaller. I've already trimmed bits of the edges to bring the filesize down.

Damn you ATV and your crappy limits! :mad:

EDIT: I'm attempting a re-encode using pass through for the video but with a decrease in audio quality see if that brings it under 4GB. Fingers crossed.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
I've already trimmed bits of the edges to bring the filesize down.

Damn you ATV and your crappy limits! :mad:
Huh? Trimming the "edges" won't bring the file size down, only reducing the bitrate will. If the > 4 GB is an issue make sure you encode it as a 64bit mpeg 4. Also if it has a. an ac3 dd soundtrack and/or b. chapter markers, then change the extension to .m4v (which I really advise for any atv content).

Your bitrate is very close to the atv's 5mbps limit, in fact there could be bitrate spikes that won't allow it to transfer even though the qt info window is showing an average bitrate of 4666.98 kbps, though I do not think thats really the cause.

Easiest thing to try first is change the file extension to .m4v.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Huh? Trimming the "edges" won't bring the file size down, only reducing the bitrate will. If the > 4 GB is an issue make sure you encode it as a 64bit mpeg 4. Also if it has a. an ac3 dd soundtrack and/or b. chapter markers, then change the extension to .m4v (which I really advise for any atv content).

Your bitrate is very close to the atv's 5mbps limit, in fact there could be bitrate spikes that won't allow it to transfer even though the qt info window is showing an average bitrate of 4666.98 kbps, though I do not think thats really the cause.

Easiest thing to try first is change the file extension to .m4v.

By 'trimming the edges' I meant the credits at the end and graphics at the start. :)

I'm halfway through the vid passthrough with reduce audio I'll see what happens with that then I'll change the extension. Will it cause problems if I just change mp4 to m4v? Or do I need to do anything else?

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
By 'trimming the edges' I meant the credits at the end and graphics at the start. :)
Ah, my bad, I thought you meant you cropped the image.

Will it cause problems if I just change mp4 to m4v? Or do I need to do anything else?
Well depending on what "features" the video has (like I mentioned above) just changing the extension to .m4v should let it transfer. I know for a fact that if you have ac3 passthru in any soundtrack or chapter markers it has to be .m4v for the atv to recognize it.

BTW, what are you transcoding this with ?

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Ah, my bad, I thought you meant you cropped the image.

Well depending on what "features" the video has (like I mentioned above) just changing the extension to .m4v should let it transfer. I know for a fact that if you have ac3 passthru in any soundtrack or chapter markers it has to be .m4v for the atv to recognize it.

BTW, what are you transcoding this with ?

I was using QTPro but it looks like I'll have to do a full transcode and reduce the bitrate somewhat so I'll be bunging it in VisualHub when I can be bothered. One thing I hate about the ATV is its crap handling of files and the strict limits on filetypes. I have spent much more time processing files than I have watching them. :(

Thanks for your replies. By the way changing it to .m4v didnt work either so (although I'll do that everytime in the future) I think its the bitrate and/or filesize in this case. Best thing to do, even though its a PITA is another transcode at lower BR. :(

ibglowin

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2005
The 4GB limit would kill it all by itself.

Movies like Lord of the Rings take a big hit in quality just to get them under the 4GB limit.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
honestly, not to be contrary, but I have several including LOTR that are on my atv via iTunes. pre 2.0 required syncing, and 2.0 and above can even stream them though it is a bit glitchy. Thats why the HandBrake AppleTV preset uses 64 bit mp4 for that very purpose.

ibglowin

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2005
No problems, good discussion. I ripped TOTR using ATV preset (AC3+AAC) and couldn't get it to go. Thoughts?

honestly, not to be contrary, but I have several including LOTR that are on my atv via iTunes. pre 2.0 required syncing, and 2.0 and above can even stream them though it is a bit glitchy. Thats why the HandBrake AppleTV preset uses 64 bit mp4 for that very purpose.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Well, tbh I would have to see an activity log from HB, but that would probably be best done on the HB forums so as not to hijack the ops thread. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.