Why won't Tiger install?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Invizzible, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Invizzible macrumors regular

When I try to install Tiger (currently running 10.3.9 on a 1.4Ghz Sawtooth Powermac), I get an error message. It tells me there's a problem with the install disc (I'm trying to do an archive and install). Just for comparison's sake, after a few failed attempts with my Tiger disc, I then tried with my neighbor's and got the same error message. Never had any problem installing versions 10.1 - 10.3. Anyone hear of this happening before? There are no problems with my computer that I've noticed, and my neighbor didn't have any trouble installing Tiger on his machine from his disc. I'm guessing there's something strange with my 10.3.9 that's preventing me from installing Tiger, but I have no idea what. Guess it's just desperately trying to cling onto life, before being replaced by the newer generation, huh?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

perhpas its a problem with the discs themselves?

3. tweakers_suck macrumors regular

It sounds like there is an error with the install disc.

4. Invizzible thread starter macrumors regular

Even though my neighbor had no problem installing from his disc? I suppose it's possible that his disc developed a problem after he installed Tiger, and that it just happens to be the same problem that my disc came with. But I wouldn't bet money on that. Also, my sister said she thought she remembered hearing others have this same problem, but it was a while ago and she couldn't remember anything else about it. I'm hoping someone who reads this will have experienced this issue, and know the cause for sure. If the problem isn't with the discs, I could get Tiger installed tonight if I just knew what the fix for this was. If the problem is with the discs, then I'll have to wait for a replacement :(

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If it's a disc that came bundled with another machine then it won't install on your Mac or other Macs that are not similar to the originally bundled machine. This is a relatively new initiative on Apple's part which might be why you used to be able to install OSX but now cannot.

Of course, if it's a retail version of Tiger then ignore me, take it back to Apple and ask for a replacement. :)

6. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

They won't even allow you to boot from them, I believe it checks the firmware to see if you can boot off of the disks.

See if you can install via Target Disk mode on a diffferent mac and install selecting the other mac's hd. :)

7. Invizzible thread starter macrumors regular

Both are retail versions, so they should work on any PPC Mac.

Using Target mode is certainly a creative idea I hadn't thought of. I'll try to coordinate that with my neighbor. Meanwhile, I hope if anyone else has come across this issue, they'll chime in. Maybe it is just two bad discs (one of which was good during its first install on another machine), but if it's a different 'known issue', I'd love to know the fix.