Why wood is better than glass...

Discussion in 'Community' started by dobbin, Nov 22, 2004.

1. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

That's gotta hurt, I'd need serious professional help after seeing that happen to my Mac.

I'm sure there's a self-help group for Desk Trauma somewhere... :rolleyes:

3. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

It's sad, I love my desk... I'm sorry for him.
    Nice cube.

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

5. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Wonder which item was the straw that broke the camel's back?! :eek: :p

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That's just wrong - cleaning that up would be a huge pain as well....I've never had a glass desk myself, just one more reason to never get one.

Its a good thing it was only a cube and small monitor - I imagine if it had been a G5 and a larger display, something more than the desk would have been damaged...

D

7. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Toughened glass has one very large Achilles heel. :D

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

wow, i wonder if it was just poor craftsmanship, or if he put too much weight on the desk to cause it to break like that, or if something fell on it to shatter it.

i have a glass desk, but its some woodwork as well, however, i only have a powerbook and not much goes on to the desk so i hope this doesnt happen to me!!

9. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I wonder if insurance covers this sort of thing.

10. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

It must not have been tempered glass. I was ina Physics class where the professor had a sudent come and stand on a piece of tempered glass (12" x 6" approx., not sure how thick but btween an 1/8" and 1/4") and it wouldn't break with the guy (probably 180 lbs) bouncing on it!

11. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

*shudder* i have a thing for glass desks, i just hope this never happens. It was always a fear of mine. Mainly I try to keep people from putting way too much weight on it, and putting really hot/cold things on it... i don't know if it actually helps, but it gives me peace of mind.

Let's hope the guys legs weren't under there at the time? I don't see any blood...

paul

12. sonyrules macrumors regular

That justs sucks.... Hope everything is still in good working order.. Its a shame it had to happen to a cube. Should have been a pc there.. :cool:

13. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

that really sucks, and cleaning that one would take a while. that poor cube

that's why my desk at home is glass on wood- fashion and functionality

14. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  15. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

if you scroll to the previous pictures you will find the cube and its powersupply in glass surroundings, and some other pictures of that desk too.....

16. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Let's have a moment of silence for the iMac as well.

17. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Uh, what iMac?

Sushi

19. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I hear ya.

My wife and I like glass style desks. We are currently thinking of getting one. However, after seeing this, we might hold off for a while.

I would sure hate to see a Dual G5 2.5 with 30 incher falling through. Ouch!

Sushi

20. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I think he meant the old Apple CRT Monitor. It looks like an old iMac (kinda).

21. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

What I mean is toughened/tempered glass can be easily shattered into snow by striking it with a solid object on the edge, or something very focused near a front side corner.

It may appear to be strong, as far as weight bearing goes, and it is much safer than stock glass because of the way it granulises when broken, but the big weakness is the way it can explode when struck in a particular way.

22. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I knew exactly what you were talking about with that one. I've seen panels of glass take a 100+ mph slapshot one minute and shatter from a soft clearing attempt that blows out the separators the next. The two panels of glass will barely touch at the edge and it just blows out.

This guy probably knocked his chair into the edge or something.

Or he was playing hockey in the house.

23. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

They should make glass desks with the laminate like windshields; or maybe some tree-huggin' (no offence, anyone) entreprenuer can even mke glass desks out of recycled semi-truck (i.e. flat) windshields! You'd have an ultra strong glass desk and be saving the planet.

24. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

that scares me...I was looking at getting one of those glass L shaped desks for my next desk...Now I may think twice

25. efoto macrumors 68030

We work with large panels of glass in some of our products here at work. The tempered solutions do withstand very large loads when statically loaded or impacted in the center, but they also explode when they finally fail.

Laminated glass (usually hazy due to laminate inlay between two glass sheets) is much safer from an explosion standpoint, as the laminate between the two keeps glass shards attached thanks to a nice adhesive. Downside, you cannot see through them clearly as they naturally have an opaque visual. Some love this, others hate it, either way use glass as a surface at your own risk!

I always thought wood was much warmer and had more of a classy feel, but that could just be me. Give me a nice mahogony or cherry anyday.