Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
I have a MacBook Pro w/retina 2015 13" and an iPad Air 2. The iPad pro sounds interesting but I don't know why or how I would use an iPad pro. It's too big for just surfing the Internet and my MacBook Pro is a beast already. Is anyone with a MacBook and iPad considering the iPad pro? If so why?

thedon1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2010
I have a MacBook Pro w/retina 2015 13" and an iPad Air 2. The iPad pro sounds interesting but I don't know why or how I would use an iPad pro. It's too big for just surfing the Internet and my MacBook Pro is a beast already. Is anyone with a MacBook and iPad considering the iPad pro? If so why?

1) The apps you use consistently on the Macbook pro are available on the iPad pro, then you could get rid of the macbook and the iPad Air.
2)if the stylus support is a compelling enough feature that'll convince you to replace the Air.

I have an iMac and an iPad Air. i really like using the iPad as a second screen for my Mac (via Duet) and to take on holidays etc. I'll probably get the Pro to replace the Air because it'll be a better second screen and the stylus support really appeals to me.

If you replaced either of your current devices with the iPad pro, you'd have a smaller performance/capability gap than you currently do. The bigger the gap between the 2 devices, the more contrasting their use cases are.

iPhone 6 plus owners aren't finding reasons to buy an iPad mini, it's the same with this.

Reactions: driftless

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
The iPad RT...errr, iPad Pro has convinced me that for the foreseeable future Apple will not be producing a truly converged device. So I am settling in on my 11" MBA and iPad Air 2 (as soon as I buy it) as my mobile combo.

With your current hardware, I don't see a reason to get the Pro... unless you're looking to replace the Air 2.

pcote

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2012
Montréal, Québec, Canada

For me, the killer feature isn't just the iPad Pro but rather, Apple Pencil. I've been waiting for this moment... for like 7 or 8 years. Having access to quality tablet + quality stylus + quality drawing software means I won't ever have to carry sheets of paper, pencils, pens, colored pens, felt, rulers...

I once thought about getting a Microsoft Surface or even a Wacom Companion Hybrid but the software that convinced me to get an iPad Pro instead is Procreate. If you are into drawing, this is the very best on the market. Seriously.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
The killer app for the pro is graphics dudes. For everyone else it's about whether you want a honking touch screen. I'd use it for pinball. Pinpall ain't worth a grand.

If I believed ios9 could replace most of my MBP duties, that would change things.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I really don't think that Apple intends the iPad Pro to be a big seller to the average consumer. I think that the 'Pro' moniker is there in terms of the types of users who will gravitate towards it - who will tend to use it professionally in some way - rather than in terms of the power it provides. I also think that this is intended by Apple to be a demonstration of where iOS is going and as a platform to launch new kinds of uses for the software.

Reactions: Billy95Tech

mintakax

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2013
I want one because its new and bound to be cool ! I won't be buying one however ... for precisely the reasons the OP listed. Please someone give me a reason !!

modernaccord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Seattle, WA region
I'm curious to see if anyone here has a need statement for a 12" rMB + iPad Pro.

I think the iPPro is really cool, but with a 12" rMB that's light and 100% functional, not sure I want to dump a grand on the iPPro+Pencil. I'm thinking iPad Mini 4 for my iPad. Thoughts anyone?

Reactions: CjonesHouston

Akack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2011
USA
I have zero interest in the iPad Pro.
Currently have 2014 13" rMBP, Air 2, and a mac mini.

z31fanatic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2015
Mukilteo, WA USA

Everyone's uses are different and there is a market for the iPP. I don't think it will sell that well but there will definitely be people who will buy it and it will be useful to them.

birnando

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2009
Oslo, Norway
I have a 2015 MBP with force touch and an iPad mini 2 collecting dust due to my 6+. The iPad pro will be a much better stop-gap for those days when all I do is meetings, mails and other simple stuff.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
As my eyes get worse and worse, my screens get bigger and bigger.

The problem is that eventually you'll need the optional wheels kit. ;)

It will be interesting to see whether developers take the Pro as a challenge and develop "killer apps" (apps that effectively persuade people that they need to buy the hardware in order to use the software) that really take advantage of the Pro in ways that a 9.7" display can't compete with.

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
First, until you actually get a chance to use it, statements like "too big" should be held in reservation. You might hold it and love it.

In any case, I plan on selling my iPad Air and buying the iPad Pro. Yes, having two iPads is pretty pointless, but if the features of the Pro appeal to you it's the best iPad out of the lineup.

dray67

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2011
UK
It's shineh, what better reason than that.......

Joking aside price point would be a big thing for me, I've just sold my iPad 4 because I fancy picking up a cheap iPhone 6+ with the release of the S models, but the pro looks great but i simply can't justify having one beyond the reason I had my iPad4 which was light weight computing and a little gaming at what is looking like a £700-£800+ investment.

All I can think about at the moment is XCOM and Baldurs gate on that thing. :D

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
First, until you actually get a chance to use it, statements like "too big" should be held in reservation. You might hold it and love it.

In any case, I plan on selling my iPad Air and buying the iPad Pro. Yes, having two iPads is pretty pointless, but if the features of the Pro appeal to you it's the best iPad out of the lineup.

It will be interesting to see real world review and real world user reports here. As with the original iPad and any other Gen 1 hardware, there's an unquantifiable early adopter risk.

Reactions: Nausicaa

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010

Reviewers love to refer the screen as "huge"--but while not really a mobile device--its hardly "huge". I see this catching on as a dedicated graphics device with pencil and adding audience as apple expands functionality

Reactions: Nausicaa

Mystro

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2011
Why is it too big?? The Lenovo Yoga Pro 2 is a lot bigger than the Pro and its used as a every day tabet. I had one for a week and loved ts bigger size. I would still have it if it wasn't for its operating system. I think there is an exaggeration with how big the pro really is. 3 inches bigger than the iPad and under 7mm is hardly that big.
Remember from now on the Pro is the Alpha dog line of the iPads.

QUOTE="Jacoblee23, post: 21810877, member: 639914"]I have a MacBook Pro w/retina 2015 13" and an iPad Air 2. The iPad pro sounds interesting but I don't know why or how I would use an iPad pro. It's too big for just surfing the Internet and my MacBook Pro is a beast already. Is anyone with a MacBook and iPad considering the iPad pro? If so why?[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I just keep thinking of reasons why I need BOTH systems in my life. iOS and OS X are both amazing operating systems, but neither can do everything I need. For me, it's not an either/or situation. I tried to go about a month without an iPad and just use my rMBP and iPhone 6, and I hated it.

--If I don't have an iPad, I don't have a comfortable way to read or watch TV/movies in bed.
--If I don't have a Mac, I don't have a good way to record high quality audio on my double ended podcast.
--If I don't have an iPad, I don't that "in between" device that's great for airplane and train seats.
--If I don't have a Mac, I don't have an easy way of pulling up backup files from my AirPort connected hard drive.
--If I don't have an iPad, I have to bring my rMBP in ANY situation where I need a screen larger than my iPhone.
--If I don't have a Mac, I have nothing to hook up to my two huge monitors when I need a huge space to work with.

The list goes on and on and on. The more I think about it, the more I realize I need both. A month after selling my iPad, I was on eBay buying another one. I just can't go without it. I hated not having one. But I think that people jumping blindly into the iPad Pro and getting rid of their Mac are in for a rude awakening. There are a lot of things the iPad Pro can't do, and as I've had more and more time to think about how the iPad Pro was presented at the keynote, I've come up with more and more reasons why iOS just simply isn't ready to fully replace my Mac yet.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
No need to make up reasons to get a new shiny device
Some things I have because I need them
Some things I have because I use them
Some things I have just because I want them

Agreed. People buy things because they either want it or need it. Doesn't really matter to me.

Apples n' Stone

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2015
Maidstone, U.K
maxresdefault.jpg

Amazing Ox Space Monkey

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2015
- There is no question whether I would buy an iPad Pro or not. The question is 32GB or 128GB.
- There is no question whether I would buy a SkyLake MacBook. The question is 256GB or 512GB.

Reactions: Hellenek
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.