Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
New bit of kit ha

I wouldn't for the record and have no interest I one..had the note 12.2 and that has put me off. Too big for handling

Reactions: Billy95Tech

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I think the OP question poses an interesting dilemma for many of us. I've been going back and forth about this question as I have a late 2008 15" MBP (on my work desk), a 2012 iMac (home), iPad Air 2, and a 12"2015 Macbook.

I'm entertaining a crazy notion that the iPad Pro might replace my late 2008 15" MBP. In my work I'm mostly dealing with e-mails, spreadsheets, and Powerpoint presentations. I also attend a lot of meetings outside of my office. So I long ago abandoned hauling the 15" MBP to meetings due to weight and battery life.

The limited multitasking of IOS9 and the 12.9 screen of the iPad Pro have opened up a lot of possibilities (based on my rather limited computing needs). I contemplate for work I might be able to use the iPad Pro in lieu of the 2008 15" Macbook Pro, and my iPad Air 2. I'll be keeping the 12" Macbook because I want to own at least one laptop. The 2008 MBP is work supplied and only God knows what they will supply me with once it dies.

I know everyone's needs differ. But for me I'm going to take a hard look at the practicality of using an iPad Pro for work.

JPuleo1

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2015
I have a MacBook Pro w/retina 2015 13" and an iPad Air 2. The iPad pro sounds interesting but I don't know why or how I would use an iPad pro. It's too big for just surfing the Internet and my MacBook Pro is a beast already. Is anyone with a MacBook and iPad considering the iPad pro? If so why?
I'll be 53 years old in two days and I can tell you that as I get older, it's easier to read on my IPad Air 2 than it is on my IPhone 6 Plus. However, even on the iPad Air my eyes get tired and my vision gets blurry after just 30 minutes. I can only assume it will be even easier to read on the IPad Pro. My wife uses our IMac computer but I have been using my IPad exclusively for all of my media consumption for almost two years now. Of course I watch some TV but as far as anything online, Facebook, magazines, news, email, Twitter, Instagram, FaceTime, making and receiving cell calls on wi-if, Apple Music, Amazon Prime video streaming, online shopping, ...you name it! I use the hell out of my iPad and a bigger screen can only make my life easier. I'm buying one for sure and can't wait.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
I don't think the new Smart Connector is simply to dock it to a keyboard. Going with the single Lightning port an intended 'Pro' device, rather than other available seemingly higher performance ports is intriguing. Is that because the speed and functionality of their Lightning port can be upgraded through updates or is it because high data rate transfer will be the job of the Smart Connector as it was intended? Are there pro level apps for the iPP 's intended use already in the works that will make large file transfer and professional business usage a reality?

Lightning is already waaaaaaay faster than anything that only has 3 pins can manage. Keep in mind it provides power too. Normally, you need 2 pins for power (+voltage and ground), a clock, and at least a data pin for 4 total. That gets you really basic support. To get something as speedy as USB, you need more data pins and a fast clock. Since they only run 3 pins, they are having to do some engineering to make at least one pin dual-purpose. I2C is roughly similar, which has data rates on the order of kilobits to a megabit a second. Even if Apple did something even better here, they aren't going to match the 11Mbps of USB1. Let alone USB3. And Lightning can handle USB2 pretty well. It isn't going to handle high data rates. Period.

Now, one thing it may be useful for is a battery dock or something to that effect, if power can flow both directions.

Reactions: Codeseven

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008
Interesting stuff.

I'm still a bit confused as to why just a single, seemingly low performance, Lightning port as opposed to at least a USB 3 or USB C port. Is it because this being an iOS device that the need for a port that can deliver high speed data transfer, to connect things such as an external HD, just isn't in the realm of what a mobile OS is supposed to do? Maybe with this device data transfer, high speed or not, was only meant to occur over the internet.

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
I have a iPad Air 2 and 2014 rMBP, I'd really want a iPad 3 but will have to hold the IPP to see how it feels. Would look like a awesome fit for use with Duet and my iPad is a lay on the couch consume device. I'm considering for now.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I have a MacBook Pro w/retina 2015 13" and an iPad Air 2. The iPad pro sounds interesting but I don't know why or how I would use an iPad pro. It's too big for just surfing the Internet and my MacBook Pro is a beast already. Is anyone with a MacBook and iPad considering the iPad pro? If so why?

As with most things, people buy Apple products because they need them or they want them. For some, it's a logical decision, and for others, it's simply a need to have the latest and greatest.

It doesn't have to make sense to you if or why I buy. And likewise, it doesn't have to make sense to me if or why you buy something.

I agree, personally, it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me why someone in your straw man scenario would buy an iPad Pro... and I won't be buying.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tdadlani

audioslave-

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
gothenburg, sweden
I have a 2010 13" MBP and a iPad mini 2 and they work fine for my needs, but my MBP is getting old and slow, it's kind of heavy. And IF the pencil works good enough for taking notes and some basic sketching, that'll be reason enough for me to buy it. Taking notes in class will be the primary use.

But I mean, it's always fun with new tech! And with my mini 2 it'll cover all my basic needs. For CAD and things like that, my old MBP will do fine, if not, I can use my schools computers.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Interesting stuff.

I'm still a bit confused as to why just a single, seemingly low performance, Lightning port as opposed to at least a USB 3 or USB C port. Is it because this being an iOS device that the need for a port that can deliver high speed data transfer, to connect things such as an external HD, just isn't in the realm of what a mobile OS is supposed to do? Maybe with this device data transfer, high speed or not, was only meant to occur over the internet.

I think more because Apple painted themselves into a corner. Lightning is a multipurpose port that can handle the tasks the old 30-pin used to, including USB data transfer which it does. It was the right decision when they introduced it, honestly. But now with USB-C, I think that's the right call going forward with support for video out and the like. But lightning is what, 3 years old? Apple claimed (and still does) that they don't want to obsolete your lightning accessories just yet, not when 30-pin survived for a decade.

Now that USB is in a good place, it's a bit weird to not standardize on it, but Apple can't do that without saying "Sorry, no more lightning for you..." And having folks buy new accessories like docks when they upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.