Why would/wouldn't you buy a Prius?

Discussion in 'Community' started by sethypoo, Feb 9, 2005.

1. sethypoo macrumors 68000

Oct 8, 2003
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    Ok, let's say someone gives you $20,000 (enough to buy a 2005 Toyota Prius). Would you buy a Prius, or would you not? Why?

I just want to see what people think of the pros and cons of this car.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    that is actually the car that i wish i could buy, but alas i am a poor college student, my main reasoning is that i will be living in chicago again next year, and city driving is where you will see the greatest benefit from a car such as this, because at the low speeds/stop & go traffic the electric engine is doing all the work, thus you are burning a lot less fuel in the process, plus i like the styling, if you do a lot of highway driving then the car probably isnt for you, it just doesnt get that much better miles per gallon, but i think its a great car, and many people are unsure of the battery life, but i think the more that are sold will bring down the cost of the battery anyways
  3. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    Canada's South Coast
    More info needed....

Will you be doing city or highway driving? Lots of hills or just flat roads? How many people will you be carrying? Are you a rabid eco-greenie?

Unless you are doing lots of daily driving you will probably take years to recoup the price premium you'll pay over a similar-sized entry-level car. So it is hard to justify economically. Like all small cars the Prius will struggle with heavy loads and hills. So unless you are trying to make a statement it isn't the best choice for basic transportation. Having said that, lots of people who can afford any car they want, choose to drive a Prius.

The Prius is by far the best hybrid vehicle yet, but if it was me, I'd look at a 2000-01 Acura for around the same price.
  4. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    It is a nice car, especially from an environmental aspect. Just being me though, I find it ugly, not that bad but enough where I wouldn't look twice at it. Plus I am more of an SUV guy since I like to offroad.

5. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    I wouldn't simply cause I think it looks ugly. If I'm gonna spend car money, I would make sure I liked it. If Toyota redisigned it into something I liked, Then yes, I would get one. Untill then NO.
  6. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Jul 4, 2004
    Honda is about to release their next gen hybrid Civic. I would go with that until the Prius updates again. Though I have driven a Prius and I was impressed. It's a lot bigger than I thought it was.
  7. freiheit macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2004
    Heck yeah, but I need to see how comfy it is first

I'm pretty sure I'd buy a Prius, but I'd have to see how comfortable it is first. Smallish cars don't have a lot of leg room. If I knew I could fit comfortably in it, heck yeah. Toyota makes a good car and anything that cuts down the extortionist price of gas in California is a good thing IMHO.
  8. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I have been interested in the Prius, because of the reputation of Toyota. The cars they produce are recommended by Consumer Reports. I like the part that it saves on gas. Since my wife drives for her job that would be significant. My concern would be the comfort for a person 6' & 6' 8". Since we live in New England, even a great concern would be its ability during the Winter with snow.
  9. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    The Prius has gotten fantastic reviews. However, as mentioned above, the Honda Accord and Civic hybrids have also gotten great (often better) reviews. I love the Bluetooth in the Prius. I think the Accord hybrid is too much $$ for you, otherwise I'd recommend it as my choice. However, I don't think you can go wrong with a Prius.
  10. EJBasile macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    Reasons not to buy
    -Hybrid: Reliability over time? So much to go wrong

If I were you I would get a VW Jetta TDI (deisel), 40mpg or somthing.

I am actually considering getting a Mercedes E320 CDI (deisel) to replace my A4 because of its awesome MPG (40mpg) plus its a awesome looking car.
  11. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I also think the Jetta diesel is a good car mileage-wise. But I disagree that it's more attractive than the Prius. I don't think either car is particularly beautiful (or ugly).
  12. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Jul 4, 2004
    And as per usual, someone reccomending the Diesel will leave out the expensive cost of replacing the timing chain on a regular basis.

Volkswagon does not have the reputation for reliability that Toyota does, or the quality, or the resale value or the quality of product.

The Civic Hybrid looks just like any other Civic apart from a badge, and has the top of the line features. Plus, it is getting updated soon and significant improvements have been mentioned as far as efficiency goes. It will be 3rd gen technology.
  13. Harry K. macrumors member

Jun 1, 2003
    North Carolina
    Yeah, my family has a Prius. And as soon as I saw it... I said to myself: this is the only car I'd ever drive. Not only is it great on the gas, but it's completely digital and has a great GPS system. If only it would have iPod input like every other car...
  14. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    I'd buy a Prius if the money saved in gas didn't go into buying such an expensive car. I don't care too much for the environment. I think a lot of the environmentalists out there blow problems out of proportion just to get attention to their cause. There is no such thing as global warming. It's all be a ruse to get you to donate for their cause. Just like those wacky Earth Liberation Front members; all they do is vandalize houses along beachfront properties.
  15. Space Cadet macrumors newbie

Feb 2, 2005
    Puget Sound
    If I had $20K

I'd pay off the $3k I owe on my Camry. It gets 30 mpg for the most part; by the time I'm ready to let go it'll probably be mass transit time for everyone here in the U.S. Or bio-diesel time.

The rest of the money? Savings, student loans and REI.
  16. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

May 10, 2004
    I Come From A Land Down Under
    Thanks but no thanks. I like driving, and because of that, I like an eventful/engaging drive. My wife has an 2002 Is200 (Lexus) and it is the most boring car I have ever driven. My old Falcon (turn off pop-up windows for the Falcon) was a pleasure to drive, because it had plenty of power and went anywhere you pushed it, even to 200 Km/h just before I got rid of it. I now have one of these and although a gas guzzler, it looks better than any Toyota, and goes better too. My first car was a Corolla, and I swore that it would be my last Toyota, and I am keeping that up.

I am not a believer in spending $50,000 AUD on a car that I could outrun, especially an uncomfortable car that has limited power, and limited range on the batteries, and with no Tiptronic on the Auto gear shifter. I like my Territory, and wouldn't give it up for the world, so in other words, NO WAY.
  17. yg17 macrumors G5

Aug 1, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    I wouldnt buy it simply because I already have a new car that I love and gets decent gas mileage. The Prius's are fugly and probably not too powerful either.
  18. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    So.... its going to be your hearse? :confused:

I've ridden in a Prius and it was very comfortable. Plenty of legroom for uncle (6 foot and a little) and it wasn't able to keep up with the 'Vette after each stoplight but it went if you pushed on the gas pedal. Not underpowerd, but not designed to go really damned fast either. It kept up nicely. I think we made it from the store to home and used maybe .5 a gallon of gas...maybe less... that's pretty cool.
  19. Dros macrumors 6502

Jun 25, 2003
    I have a 2005 Prius. I like the look, and wanted a hatchback. Personally, I don't understand people saying it is underpowered. When I am driving to the ocean over the Northwest coastal range, I have no problem surging past other cars during the infrequent passing areas. I am not going to be going 100+ mph in it, or beating a Porsche at a red light, but I've never considered those to be primary goals. I live on a hill with a stop sign at the bottom. All these pick-ups that are so powerful are the ones that rumble and roar as they make their way up the hill... the Prius just quietly goes up it.

The other thing that I find funny is that someone will see the Prius and start going through all these mental calculations about how far I'll need to drive to save money. Meanwhile, they own a $40,000 car that is worth it because of "road feel", or if they were being honest, status. If I think it is worth a few thousand for a quiet ride, infrequent trips to the gas station, and low pollution, why are those factors the source of such debate when a few extra horsepower that will never be used be so easily accepted? Or spending $5,000 more for a tall-riding SUV that makes you feel safe but is actually no safer?
  20. MattG macrumors 68040

May 27, 2003
    Fletcher, NC
    I would have considered buying one if they had had any at the time! When I bought my car (April or May of '04), the Toyota guy told me that they were in such high demand that nobody had them. I would have had to be put on a waiting list, and it would've taken several months.
  21. cyanide macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2005
    am i wrong?

i may be wrong, and am much too lazy to look, but IIRC prius is a latin term for "before" that is usually only used to describe a former event, not a coming one. like i said i may be wrong, but if this is the case, and the prius is something that came before, there should be a more current model. i'm not one for having outdated technology in any form...at all...ever. now if you will excuse me, my Mac Classic is temperamental this time of night, and I have to drive my 88 cavalier to meet my girlfriend at the truck stop for some late night java..
  22. Space Cadet macrumors newbie

Feb 2, 2005
    Puget Sound

I meant let the car go ... but considering my chosen profession — rewarding but so low-paying — it may just end up being my hearse.

Buying a Prius can be a good investment to save money what with US tax breaks and decent gas mileage — a friend of mine regularly gets better than 40 mpg and her mileage is better on the freeway than city streets (!) — but for serious greenies, biodiesel cars, and the greeny biodiesel co-ops, are the way to go.

Also, when it comes to saving money, buying used saves big time on insurance premiums.

If you have $20K to play with, think hard about what buying a Prius means to you: is it an economic decision? Environmental? Because, if you strung out a continuum with those two priorities at opposite ends, there are better auto options closer to either end. The Prius falls somewhere in between, and maybe that's where you are, maybe not.

Anyway, good luck car shopping!
  23. stubeeef macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    If you have no other uses for the money, the opportunity cost of investing and spending dividends on gas, then the prius is as good as any other hybrid. I like the way it looks but find the Hondas more my taste. Personnaly I drive a 1989 Honda CRX HF, I still get 45mpg on regular, sometimes over 50mpg on the highway. You can find them used for a few grand. For 5 grand get a used one and drop in a rebuilt engine, then invest the 15 grand into retirement. Of course the CRX is a two seat car, but has a huge trunk.
    I personnaly would steer clear of VW, if I were a VW mechanic I might feel different, but people that own them have reported to consumer reports more problems than the typical Toyota or Honda product.
    Have fun! As a personal note I just bought a 2000 Honda Odyssy, Had it thouroughly checked out and will probably last at least 5 years, for less than 10 grand. That is 15+ grand less than a base new one, and residual value in 5 years will be only different by about 5 grand.
  24. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Jul 11, 2004
    Houston, TX..... (keep walking)
    Probably not ..... Tooo ugly. European diesels get the same milage and look a lot better. I'd checkout Audi or so. They will bring there A3 model to the States at some point. A nice looking car....!
  25. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    If someone were to give me a Prius, I would gladly take it. Though if I were to spend $20K on a car right now, I would look at anything that gave at least 30mpg highway. Reason is that I only have 14K miles after 16 months with my Subaru Baja. So the benefits of the Prius might be lost for my usage.