Why Would You Buy A New Console/Handheld?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Macamus Prime, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

For me, its simple. I buy a new system because of the games.

Do you buy your console systems based on games, loyality, price or just because its the newest thing out??

WHAT SAY YOU!?!?

2. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

Games. I almost always buy a console because of a single game I can't get enough of playing at friends houses. I almost bought an Xbox just for Burnout 3: Takedown... but the car insurance bill came.. and.. you can figure that one out. :(

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Burnout 3: Takedown -- YES! And that is why I got an X Box! haha!

4. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Games, I have a thing for Sony franchises so I have a PS2 and a PSP.

5. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

PSP rocks... but the 7 games they have right now don't really instrest me :rolleyes:

and those sony people delayed the update!

oh yeah i buy systems for then new games and added supportability

(HDTV, Surround Sound, Wireless, Hardware, Ect)

6. noelister macrumors 6502

I am a BIG Final Fantasy follower. So I have been know to buy any system for those games alone (except for xbox, I bought it because of halo :)). I bought my PSP because of the FF game due out in 2006 :). So you could say I buy for the games.

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Games.

Metroid, Zelda, Mario, etc, etc are my absolute favorite games. Nothing tops a new Zelda or Metroid title. Which is why Nintendo's console is always the first I buy. However, I've been planning to buy a PS2 for Burnout 3 and Kingdom Hearts for a while but haven't found the extra cash to grab one, and with at least 15 games I want coming in the next four months, I doubt I'll have it anytime soon ;)

Zelda: Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime Hunters, online Mario Kart, MegaMan X Collection (MMX ruled until they went 3D with 7. 1-6 are awesome.), Ultimate Spider-Man, Age of Empires DS, MMBN DS, Viewtiful Joe DS, Final Fantasy III DS (never got into the Final Fantasy games, why not start?)...what to buy, what to buy... :(

But yeah, games are THE most important thing. If the console has no games you're interested in playing, the features don't matter.

8. 1nsanity macrumors regular

I use to have a pc for games but having a pc and a mac Id on't need to tell you which one i decided to keep.

Anyway I play to buy a console this fall when the xbox 360 is out. I also hope to have a dell 24" by that time. So anyway I would buy a console just because mac isn't for games but for productivity.

It would be the best of both worlds!!! and since the xbox has a great game lineup I don't see why I would buy a pc...... for the next year or so.

Plus i can only imagine playing nhl 2006 on the xbox 360 on a dell 24" on the internet! I mean so cheaper than a pc and no crashing nor any virus problems blah blah blah!

9. PharmD macrumors 6502

I buy for the games, which is why I'll buy a Revolution upon release. Nintendo franchises have always been my thing. I've had both Sony consoles as well and will mostly likely buy the PS3 when it's price drops a bit for the FF games as well as MGS4 and the 1080p and Blu-Ray drive.

10. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

For me it's the games, but more specifically I'm concerned with the experience as a whole. For example, the DS doesn't have too many "must own" games, but the total experience is unique and very fun.

Along this line, I'm going to get an xbox360 and a revolution. Both systems will bring something new to the table IMHO. While graphics are important, I'm more interested in other aspects of gameplay taking the leap into "next-gen" territory. Xbox360 will catapult online gaming into the true mainstream and offer unparalleled multiplayer experiences, albeit for a fee. Revolution promises to take interactivity to the "next-gen" with their supposedly unorthodox controller

From what I've seen Sony is taking the graphics road, and hasn't really shown anything that makes their new console "next-gen" other than graphics... really, really, really good graphics.

90% of my gamer friends are getting a 360 at launch, so for me Live360 is huge. We'll have a clan of 15 at launch. Prepare to get owned this fall in PDZ. I don't have a Live name yet, but I'll be the guy passing you doing 215 in PGR3 (all the while singing 'la cucaracha'). See you this fall...

11. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

If i could get broadband(to far away) id take that challenge:D

PGR3 and Elder Scrolls Oblivion are the two games i cant wait for. From what i have seen, PGR3 has the option to let you have a camera angle in side the car.:eek: They have pictures of the inside of a Ferrari F430 in wire, and textured. Also, you can change the road course on the map, where curves are, how long or short the course is. November couldn't get here any faster.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Well it depends on a lot of things. I got a Gamecube very early into its life, which is very unlike me. i usually wait until the 'killer apps' are out or if something really interests me.

Its games, but only when they're amazing. I was happy with my Amiga, got that same time i got my NES but the Amiga survived way up until 98 when i got my N64. Frankly, although now im seeing how good they really are, the old console games didn't interest me much. I was too busy playing Turrican 1, 2 and 3, too busy playing Mario Bros 3. Even when I had my N64, with its plethora of kick ass games I only actually bought Mario, Goldeneye, F-Zero, Zelda, Doom and Jet Force Gemini.

I could probably have lived without my DS until the Nintendogs release. But nay, i went out and got one.

And i suppose new ways of interaction get me. I fell in love with the N64's analogue stick and now with the DS's touchscreen and mic. The revolution is playing in this field too, even if that has no killer first game (although from rumours, there will be a Mario and Metroid game early on, so i hear) id love to play tech demo hardware games to experience the new controllers.

However the thing which makes me pick which console is easy. if it has Zelda, Metroid, Mario and Pokemon then yea. my mind is made up.

My choice of gaming medium is handheld though.

13. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I'm not going to try to convince anyone one way or another.

I just am curious here. What is leading people to automatically assume Microsoft's online system will be for sure leaps and bounds above everyone elses? "Um, they've done it before?" is not a good answer, since they were superior last time because the competition ignored online.

I mean...
    Honestly, I don't understand why one would assume this. So far that we've seen, XBox Live Gold is basicly the same thing as the previous XBox Live, + voice/video chat (which PS3 has) + downloadable demos (Revolution has, probably PS3 too) and an arcade (vs hundreds of downloadable classic games).

Why wouldn't the other consoles get the same features as XBox Live had five years ago? Microsoft isn't adding anything big this time and the others are sure to try to match the features that they had before.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

its easy to predict what a console will be like running off its predecessor. The Rev will flop because *really* its an N64 and Nintendo suck... all the PS3's will have to be taken back due to severe hardware faults... and the xbox will provide the best online service.

There is very stiff competition competition for an online service. its very M$ to charge for full online capabilities (the Gold service im on about) whilst everyone else is going free. frankly, i cant see M$ doing that for long and months in would probably drop the Gold service. but that will upset people who forked out for Gold in the first place. they need to announce now or at the 360's launch that online will be completely free, or fear people going elsewhere for their online gaming fix. especially with DS, Revolution, PSP and PS3 offering a free online world.

15. crachoar macrumors 6502a

The next person that seriously uses the phrase 'killer app' is going to contract HIV.

Well, I can't promise anything, but - I hope that they do.

Can't you just say 'good game'? Or 'highly anticipated game'?

I usually end up buying all of the consoles - each one of them for one game. If I'm lucky, there will be maybe three games per system that are worth a damn.

The Xbox has really given me a lot of great titles. Can't say the same for my Gamecube - which hasn't been touched since Zelda came out...

The PS2 has the occasional amazing game - like 'God of War'. But I'm still playing the Xbox the most out of the three. Most fun I've had with a console since the Dreamcast.

However, I haven't purchased a console at launch since the N64. Learned my lesson the hard way...

16. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

The ability to voice chat with your friends no matter what game(s) you are playing. The fact that every xbox360 game will utilize online in some form or fashion. And the most important factor, I have at least 15 friends who are getting the xbox360 at launch. About 3 of them want a revolution, and 5-6 of them are planning on getting a PS3.

Basically all my friends will be on Live which makes it "leaps and bounds" better than anything else in the online space, for me at least.

And yes, PS3 will have most/all of these features... about a year after xbox360. But considering that Kutaragi expects the PS4 to ship in 2016 I have plenty of time to wait for the PS3 to drop in price before I get one. The revolution and 360 will tide me over until the PS3 is ~$300. If it launches under $400 I'll buy one though.

I bet that the PS3 launch is met with a wave of kille... ehmm.. top quality games for the xbox360. My money is on ChronoTrigger 360 from Square (just a hunch), Halo 3 from Bungie, Gears of War from Epic, and maybe Quake 4 from Raven.

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

i hate the term killer app but its what everyone calls the 'must have game'. and its in fewer letters :D

console games aren't really applications either. cept maybe the Xbox's .xbe

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Something the PS3 has been announced to have. I see no reason the competitors would not have this.

...um, so? That does not mean the game will have online play. It's up to the developers.

Okay, but I still don't see how that makes XBox Live a better experience. I understand buying what your friends have, I just don't understand why you automatically assume it's superior to the competitors, one of which has not revealed their online service but are hyping it, and the other which has announced that it has all the major features of the one you're getting.

Kutaragi NEVER said the PS4 will ship in 2016. He said he expects the PS3 to last ten years, and this is TRUE. Sony has always said that consoles have a ten year lifespan. Sony supported the PS1 for ten years (five while it was flagship, and five while it was behind the PS2). Sony has supported the PS2 for five years and will support it another five while it is behind the PS3. Sony will also support the PS3 for ten years.

19. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

With a solid Alienware system why bother with consoles at all? The best is on PC in my view. My answer is no console games. Also a happy Alienware user :D

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Id say PC gaming is the king and nobody should get a console, but to me there hasn't been a good PC game since '97. and all the old classics just get ported to Xbox by l33t hackers.

21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

PC = best for FPS, RTS, TBS
    Console = best for platformers, adventure games, racing games, sports games, and unique genre's.

Both are great for RPG.

Since IMHO Nintendo makes the best platformers, adventure games, and unique genre's, I generally buy Nintendo's consoles first, and everything else on the PC. Eventually in the console's life cycle I buy a second console for the third party games like Burnout 3.

Oh, and I hate sports games.

22. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Games, which is why I generally go for Nintendo. Childish you may say (looking at Mario) but addictive you cannot deny. And I use my Mac for almost all my games (Quake, Unreal Tournament, Halo and Warcraft 3, plus a few others), and borrow my bro's PC via VNC for SplinterCell 3

23. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

You're right, I didn't read his quote correctly. But like I've said before I plan to buy a PS3. Whether or not my purchase is at launch or some time after depends on a few things.
    1) How much is it?
    2) What new games are shipping for my xbox360 that month?
    3) Does the Revolution come out close to the same date?
    4) What games are going to make the launch?

Since M$ is first to market questions 2 and 3 don't apply to the xbox360. I already want about 5 of the 360 launch titles, so all I need to know about the xbox is price. If it's under $400 I'm getting one. So that's one variable for M$ and four variables for Sony, two of which they have zero control over.

I hate to say it but just as Sony out-nintendo'd big N with the PS1, M$ is going to out-sony Sony with their technically inferior xbox360.

Basically, there is nothing Sony can do to disuade me from owning an xbox360. But they can persuade or disuade me regarding the PS3. The ball's in their court.

24. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You can actually play a game over VNC? :confused:

I tried and it went horribly.

25. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I'm looking at the same thing.

Right now, I don't see any of the XBox 360 launch titles that interest me, but the currently mentioned PS3 titles don't interest me either. And cost is a big one. All the factors you mentioned are things to look at.

I'd also say,
    5) Do they charge for online play?
    As it would suck to pay for XBox Live AND PS3 Online too.