Discussion in 'Games' started by slooksterPSV, Feb 12, 2005.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    About 2 years ago, my mom and sister bought me and my brother an XBox. We loved it, we bought Halo and various other games for it. Well, after about a year and a half, Halo 2 came out and I put the game in and found it didn't read it right away. It said that the disc was damaged or dirty. I took it out, looked at the bottom, put it back in, and it started working. I played Halo 2 till I beat it. Then I tried to load some levels to play. NONE of them would load. Huh??? I restarted the game and it wouldn't load up, I restarted the Xbox about 15 times before the game started to work. Finally, I went in to play a level... didn't load! Well, I thought it was maybe a game issue so I loaded another game. It didn't work either, tried another, it didn't work. Finally I found one that worked.... it said disc was dirty or damaged! GRR!!! I did a search and people have been having the same problems with their XBOX's not being able to read the DVD's, but will read CD's. I called up Microsoft. They said that if I deleted all of my games, it should work. Other than that, I'd have to send it in for $80 + pay shipping, for them to fix it. WHAT THE ****!? I HAVE TO PAY BECAUSE THEY MESSED UP ON THE MACHINE IN THE FIRST PLACE! I haven't sent it in, but have been able to play Fable for about 30 minutes, but if I leave it sitting for over 2 minutes, it freezes. I had deleted all of my game saves and found that it didn't work. All in all, I wouldn't buy another product from Microsoft EVER again.

Just thought I would give you a heads up guys.
  2. Wes macrumors 68020

Jun 22, 2001
    My mac had a similar problem where it would only read CDs and not DVDs.

I thought about a potential source. Seeing as DVDs are the same size for more data they have the the data more compressed. Maybe the lens I had was dirty and therefore ruining the accuracy of the laser. I got a CD lens cleaner kit for a couple of pounds, put it in, 1 minute later my drive worked as it always had.
  3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    ...my xbox is a few years old and works just as I did when I bought it...same as millions of others...:rolleyes:
  4. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    Thanks for the heads up, but I'm very happy with my Xbox. If yours is broken, sitting there and complaining about how it performs is kinda illogical. You should either fix it or replace it or stop using it.

There's no such thing as a computer or game console that NEVER has any problems... my Xbox was bought on release day back in 2001, and it has always worked flawlessly. Once the warranty expires, the cost of repairs becomes your responsibility.
  5. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    Sounds like you got a Thompson drive. But really, just because your XBox acts up, doesn't mean XBoxes suck. Try cleaning it, or calling Microsoft and see what they can do. Heads up? Thanks, but no thanks.
  6. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    I called Microsoft thats how I know it'll cost 80+shipping to fix it. If you have this same problem and want to sign a petition for Microsoft to fix it, go here:http://www.petitiononline.com/mat767s/petition.html

I'm just giving people a heads up on what to expect when buying Microsoft signature things - like Windows & XBox, etc.
  7. James L macrumors 6502a

Apr 14, 2004

I have had to return new Macs twice for out of the box issues... it isn't just Microsoft, it is any company that ships products. Most are great, some have problems. Sorry to hear that yours is giving you issues.

Oh, and internet petitions aren't really worth anything.
  8. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    Meh I know it won't do anything, its just a ranting day for me. Very very rare.
  9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Shouldn't the thread title read "Why MY Xbox sucks! - READ BEFORE YOU PLAY MY XBOX." ;)

My friend had a first run Xbox w/a Thompson drive and it gave the "disc dirty" almost every time the game disc had to be spun up to load a level. He just bought a used Xbox, but I know there are a lot of DIY sites for replacing the optical drive.

10. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

Jan 21, 2004
    South Bucks, UK
    My black Xbox used to have frequent "cannot read the disc, it may be damaged or dirty" messages appear mid way through playing games.

Then one day some b*****d broke into my flat and stole the Xbox and my games, and the dvd remote...and all the cables.

Then the insurance company sent me a new Crystal edition Xbox, replaced my old games and even agreed to swap Colin McRae Rally 3 for the newer version.

So while getting broken into was bad at least I got a fully functional Xbox with no more of these errors and some updated games.

But I didn't appreciate being burgled - that sucked.
  11. Twinkie macrumors regular

Feb 9, 2005
    Milford, MI
    Hey guys, I bought a box of GE light bulbs about two years ago, and one of them burned out!

Don't buy GE light bulbs, because THEY SUCK! :rolleyes:
  12. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    I still have my xbox from launch and it works perfectly fine. Once in a blue moon will i get a dirty disk error. But It works the same as it did on day one, plus i have the crappiest dvd drive out of all three in mine, Thompson.
  13. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

Jun 8, 2004
    I have an Xbox with a Thompson drive. It's really screwing up. I don't think it's the drive though. It freezes when loading the daashboard too. I'm thinking of getting a new one.

Anyway, there are three different brands of drives you may get when you buy an Xbox:

Thompson - Sucks, HARDCORE. Lots of DREs - You can identifiy it, because it has a half-oval hole in the tray for reading the disc.
    Phillips - Dosen't suck as much. Reasonable good. You may get DREs - YOu can identifiy it, because it has a lightbulb-shaped hold for reading the disc
    Samsung - The grand master of Xbox drives! Plays well with Linux, very few DREs. - You can identify it, because it has two holes to the left and right of the large hole that is there so the laser can read the disc.

Got all that? Let me finish by saying this: The Xbox is a good system, that has some flaws. Also, if you think these problems are bad, you haven't tried a Playstation 2... I'd suggest you get a Gamecube. ignore the "Nintendo is kiddy" FUD, and get some good games for it (Zelda: WW, Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime 1/2, RE4, Viewtiful Joe 1/2, Beyond Good and Evil, SSBM, Paper Mario, etc...).
  14. candan9019 macrumors regular

Feb 18, 2003
    Ontario-> Louisiana-> Colorado-> Ontario
    My brother had the same problem with his xbox not reading discs. He had a Thompson drive of course, but he replaced the drive himself. Now it works great and loads faster cause of the faster drive.

I can't remember what website he was on but they showed how to modify a regular dvd drive to work with the xbox. They also sold pre-modified drives. He ended up buying the modified one, but he spend way too much. Unfortunately it seems some just have inferior drives.
  15. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    This is your problem with your Xbox. Most of us have no complaints. Every company ships out defects of something. It just something that happens.
  16. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

May 20, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    All of the newest generation systems have had this problem.

My launch gamecube is getting disk read errors more and more often.

It makes me quite sad. I love my gamecube a lot. It was the first system I've ever bought at launch and I've probably spent more time playing it than any other system I've owned (alright, probably not as much as my genesis).

It's just sad, as a video game console collector, to know that these new generation consoles are made to be disposable.
  17. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

Jun 22, 2004
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    eh, **** happens dude... nothings perfect. I had my Xbox break on me (bought launch day)... know what I did? I went to my local game store and had it exchanged for free... just walked in and said it was a gift, and that it stopped working. :p Now my current xbox has been working nicely... a couple random DRE's... but usually a reset fixes it
  18. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    My Xbox has been working just fine. I have only had it a little more then a month though. The thing about Xbox is I think you need to be more careful with them then the other systems. It is not a compact. If you are throwing it around then yeah, it's going to get damaged. Somebody I know got his Xbox damaged because it was handled poorly at the airport. It's not as traveling fit as the Cube and Ps2 (The GameCube in particular). But still, people seems to be very satisfied with the Xbox. I know I am.
  19. combatcolin macrumors 68020

Oct 24, 2004
    Northants, UK
    It does have to be said that the build quality on the xBox is very good - up alongside Nintendo levels of reliability.

Pity the same cannot be said of the Sony Playstation.

Sony kit is Nuclear proof but the PS is shoddy.
  20. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    I think Nintendo's products could survive a Nuclear War. Back in the GameBoy Color days, I dropped that thing down the stairs an uncountable amount of times and it still always worked. There have been a few times when my GameCube went falling to the floor and it still works fine.
  21. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Jul 23, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    First of all, you need to chill. Second of all, my xbox had the same problem, and they fixed it for free (though I had to pay for shipping to their facility). Call MS up, tell them you have an xbox with a defective thompson drive, and ask them if they will fix it because it was a manufacturers defect. That's what I did, and it worked for me... Best of luck, man!
  22. csubear macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2003
    Sounds like alot of playstations on i know too.
  23. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Jul 4, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    I am actually on my second xbox because of what your talking about. I would always ge dirty or damaged disc and I could never watch dvd's.... oh yea, and halo 2 would even load. I called microsoft and they told me it would cost me $80+shipping to send it to them and have them fix it and send it back. Now to me this is just horrible customer service and really irritated me. I happen to belive that when a company finds out that what they are selling is defective, (which it has proven to be, thousands of people have had this problem and its commonly discussed and known on the internet) they should replace it, because I didnt buy an xbox thinking that it would be disposable. What makes me even more angry is that they are profiting even more from there defective product because a few years after it has been out it starts having problems and therefore giving them more buissiness to an almost outdated product. Apple is totally opposite when it comes to this kinda stuff. For example, I bought an ipod maybee a year or so ago and its a pretty sensitive(im abusive to mine, it goes everywhere with me) machine. Ive had a few problems such as the play button stoped working or my windows machine wasnt able to read it correctly, and all I had to do was take it to the apple store and the would just go to the back and bring me out a brand new one giving me the benefit of the doubt of wether or not it was my fault. Im on my third ipod and normally id be upset about this, but apple makes it so easy that it doesnt even matter. It almost makes me more happy knowing that apple is a company that values customer service and stands behind their products. Try getting that kind of service from good ol bill gates.
  24. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

May 28, 2004
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    Wow glad I got a xbox with a different drive :eek: A friend of mine who got his in Canada has the same issue (about 2 yrs. old) only with Mech Assult 2. If we sit waiting for friends to join in and it's longer than 5 mins. he has to reset his xbox.
    After reading this I'll tell him about it and post back if MS was willing to take care of it.
  25. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

Jun 29, 2004
    I'm on my third xbox because of the exact same problem. But i love halo....