Why you love Mac more than Windows?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by pnz999, Dec 2, 2002.

1. macrumors member

Why you love Mac more than Windows? What is so special about owning a Mac?

2. macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

Ease of use.
    Better GUI
    More Stable.
    Final Cut Pro

3. macrumors 68020

howard

1. design
    2. os x
    3. music/audio programs

4. macrumors 6502

You are becoming a WHYs man...

Two Reasons...

(1) Myths aren't Reality...; and

(2) Talk to the Ellen cause the Gates aint listenin!

Maybe we can change you from a whys man into a Wise person.

:cool:

5. thread starter macrumors member

to be honest, i find Mac to be more pricey (maybe even overprice) compared to PC.

----why cant Mac vendor sales Macs for much less? does Apple really regulate prices?

6. thread starter macrumors member

Re: You are becoming a WHYs man...

I'm open to any OS and computer system thats why I bought my first Apple [dual 867] two weeks ago.

for some reason, Apple is still prone to crushing... in two weeks, it crush twice! [it crush when running combustion 2, a video editing software]

7. macrumors G4

I think what you mean is Why do you love the Mac OS over Windows, comparing a computer to an operating system wouldn't be fair, would it?[​IMG]

Anywayz, nobody (I know at least) really enjoys using Windows itself, they like what you can do on Windows, but they see the actual OS as just a tool to get what they want to get done.

OSX is an operating system that I actually enjoy using, not just doing stuff on it. Windows just sorta stays in the background, while OSX is intertwined with everything else.
    I own both a PC and a Mac and if my iBook was a little faster and I could hook it up to my 17" monitor, I'd use it much more often. The only reason that I don't now is things are kinda clunky on it and the small screen.

8. macrumors newbie

well

Hey pnz999, i thought that we were suppost to sound off on which os we favored best the mac os or winblows? I didn't understand how you meant to word the question er yeah
    Anyways I love apple for the following reasons:
    1.OSX- Free BSD,ect.
    2.I-apps
    3.aqn alturnitive to windows
    4. and the shape and feel of theier products

9. macrumors 68030

medea

I agree with ednviow with the fact that I actually enjoy using my mac and os x and I can honestly say that I felt no joy using win xp (nor any previous versions.)
    My XP machine quit on me daily, and since I've had this mac (purchased I think in April or May....maybe) the OS has not even once crashed on me or given me any errors, the only problems I've had were with individual programs such as IE and Chimera. Another I love about using os x is the iApps, iMovie makes my life so much easier and I enjoy using all the other tools such as iPhoto and iTunes etc. So the two things I guess are the macintosh operating system and the iApps.

10. macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

Re: Re: You are becoming a WHYs man...

the problem is with combustion, not the mac os. if it crashed the entire system, there's a problem, but when combustion crashed, you probably just had to open it up again (although losing your work really sucks).

why i like the mac os...
    1. stability
    2. excellent visual feedback
    3. the most extensible system framework of any os
    4. some of the best shareware/freeware around
    5. a clear interface that is condusive to greater productivity
    6. many more reasons, if only i had the time

the hardware used to be great as well, although apple's been falling behind in that department. value is also another biggie. i can still do an incredible amount of stuff on my 60mhz performa (3d rendering with raydream, audio editing, games, internet) and i've never had a single problem with it that i did not cause (i had a knack for hacking the system resources when i was not supposed to). the mac users i know have never thrown away a mac because regardless of how old it is, you can always do something with it (usually much more than a pc equivalent).

11. macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

Macs...

I see it like this: Macs are abit more expensive, but you get what you pay for. It's like complaining that your BMW cost too much when the alternative was Geo Sidekick or a (insert crap car here). Sure it's cheap, but you'll never when it's going to leave you stranded out on the freeway. It's about a sensibility to beauty too. There is something about OSX that always seems to make me quietly say "wow". Windows XP looks and feels like Windows 98 and there's a chilly corporate feel to XP. OSX on the other hand, comforts me. It's fun with it's colors and shadows. I love to surprise my PC buddies with the OSX dock and the genie effect. It's little things like that make my experience with OSX a personal one. So, I'll gladly fork over some extra cash for a Mac. Hands down, no questions, it is worth it. Anyday.

12. macrumors 65816

benixau

Re: Re: Re: You are becoming a WHYs man...

hi how are you, now you know me you know some one who has.

my dad threw his ot about two months ago. it was an LC630 and its PSU had gone after 7-8yrs of daily operation. it ran at 66MHz qith 16MB of RAm which had RAM Doubler on top.

i was impressed and if i can keep my new DP867 and he can keep his new DP1Ghz for as long we will ne impressed yet again.

pnz999:

buy a pc and you get a machine for the next few years. buy a mac and it will last a lot lot longer. if only cause it doesnt break down.

if you want to be a stingy bastard then go and buy a dell. they are the closest thing you wil get to a mac in the win world. just make sure the specs match the game you want to play.

oh you dont want to play games!! then why are you buying a pc??

13. macrumors 6502

I find it funny how I'm a freshman in college and all of the guys on my dorm floor always stop in and say how much they love the look of my 17" imac. I then go into conversation about why they won't get a mac and they really have no answer as to why. They also ask me about how stable it is and i say the only app that ever crashes on me is microsoft internet explorer. A friend of mine back home has always had a mac and he always says something like, "i find it funny how all my friends put down apple and then ask me to fix their pc's." Me being one of those friends since this is my first mac. PC users don't switch b/c they are just afraid to try something new.

14. macrumors 6502a

springscansing

Re: Re: You are becoming a WHYs man...

.. what?

15. macrumors 6502a

springscansing

I personally like Windows XP Pro better. It costs like 3 times as much, hence, three times the software! :rolleyes:

16. macrumors member

i love my powerbook i mean mac

i love my mac because it feels great.

Seriously, it may seem foolish to attribute it to feelings but all the other reasons just contribute to my feelings of joy when i use my mac. Stability, usability, and aesthetics are great attributes but they only really contribute to the experience. Windows tries to emulate the mac experience but really can't.

Since I've "switched" to the Mac I've realized that when I want to use a computer I want to use a Mac. The only time I find myself using my PC anymore is to play games or to sometimes surf because if you're going to use IE it's better and faster in the Windows world (Please don't tell me about the greatness of chimera, mozilla, omniweb, etc. I've downloaded them all and they aren't caught up with Explorer, imho, although I like Mozilla more and more)

Nothing beats the mac experience.

17. macrumors 65816

Nipsy

My Mac says:
    Volume "Storage" has a problem. You should repair it with Disk Utility

My Wintel box says:
    Volumes /ndr0/ndr8/ experienced the following error:120xEE

I put a CD into a Mac to install the OS.

I put four floppies, then a CD into a Wintel box, and after 45 minutes am told that I have no hard drives available, so I repeat (several times)

My Mac boots happily full of cards and memory and devices

My Wintel box requires IRQs, cacheable bios, UDMA support and countless other enablers

My Mac has crashed 13 times since os 10 was introduced (and takes some serious abuse before it does)

I tried XP this weekend, and it BSODes after 38 minutes (unexpected_kernel_mode_trap)

The Apple support forums and TIL are usable

The M$ and Intel support info is not

I have had Macs since 1984, and once I found a file with a virus in it, but it did no damage (without A.V.)

I have had PCs since 1998, and have had 3 data losses caused by virii (with A.V.)

If you type 'google' in a Mac browser, you go to http://www.google.com

If you type 'google' in the common Wintel browser, you wind up at MSN

I can delete any program from my Mac

I cannot delete many programs from my Wintel box (I spent half an hour today watching wmplayer.exe magically reappear everytime i deleted it)

UNIX makes sense to a programmer

NT does not make sense to a programmer

Aqua, while a bit too gooey, is pretty

Luna is either Fischer Price, or plain jane

My Mac happily runs 30 apps, and 50 services for months at a time

Three instances of SmartPar can bring XP to its knees

I control my Mac

Redmond, the RIAA, and Fritz Hollings control my PC

18. macrumors member

1. OS X == UNIX

2. Cocoa (Objective C)

3. ProjectBuilder

This developer likey. With MS you have to buy
    their IDE, no likey.

ooartist

19. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Everyone has stated quite a lot of good reasons, and I'm sure there are people on another forum telling everybody why they love pcs instead of macs. But who cares? ;)

Aside from a lot of what's already been said, I just like being different. :D

D

20. macrumors newbie

I just have to say that PCs boot fine from the CD if the machine isnt from the stoneage.

IRQs are also a thing of the past you dont need the if you are running W2K or later. You dont have to cache the BIOS, its an option on/off. Enablers?

There are more PC viruses because there are 50 times as many users, hence noone cares about making viruses for Mac. Wich is a very good thing of course.
    Ever heard of "uninstall"? Anyway you are not supposed to delete the WMedia player. Its like deleting Quicktime from the Mac. Not good.
    You make no sense to me. Im a programmer working under W2K (NT v5) and i know about 30 more programmers working under Windows writing all kinds of languages. Actually i think most programmers work under Wintel.

Our Wintel webserver hasnt crashed once in the year we have had it. It has about 20 sites, 5 MySQL databases and a 24/7 Counterstrike server on it with 10000+ players and its still fast with dual 933 p3 processors.

21. macrumors regular

Have you seen a mac guy and a winblows user argueing?

The mac guy loves his machine and os
    on the other hand the windows user says he needs it and can't leave it becauseTHERE IS NO OPTION or so he says.

WE love our macs , they are involved in a very bad relationship with their windows's machines.

I have a friend that loves his wintel thing, he is a MASOQUIST thou,hehhehhehehhehe.;)

22. macrumors regular

Remember english is my second language, correct me when i write words that shouldn't be written that way, thanks .
    I have to learn more, hehehhe

23. macrumors 65816

ibookin'

1. UNIX Core of Mac OS X
    2. Quality of Laptops
    3. Both the computers and OS look good
    4. Intuitive to use hardware

I am a switcher, by the way.

24. macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

1. OS X
    2. iMovie
    3. iTunes
    4. iPhoto
    5 Photo to Movie
    6. iDvd
    7. FCP 3
    8. Not having a crash in 6 months PRICELESS!

25. macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

oh yeah...

Forgot to add this in my last post but

Three little words:

Final Cut Pro

Nothing comes close!