Why you saw The Passion of the Christ

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Bunzi2k4, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Bunzi2k4 macrumors 6502

While watching news, a news anchor was talking to a guest on his show about The Passion. The Anchor asked why are there so many people watching this movie? The guest answered "It's because of the violence".

Just a thought, did you watch the movie and if so, why did you watch it? Was it for the violence, i certainly didn't... but what about you?

(I don't want to make this a religion war thread, so please, no flaming ect.)

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i'm going to defy the intentions and say why i didn't (and won't) see it. originally i was going to go, not because i have any religious affection for the story (as many here well know), but because it's somewhat of a spectacle-- something that's enjoying a lot of controversy, along with Gibson's unusual religion-- but, as is well known, a woman died while watching it... whether or not the movie had anything to do with that, i really don't care (i rather doubt it), but fact is, if it had been Resident Evil, or the Matrix, or Texas Chainsaw; they'd be holding senate testimony right now on why violence is so horrible in movies, and how destructive it is to society. But, when it's a Christian flick, no one says anything (except "wow"). That doesn't seem right to me.

paul

3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

not what the thread was about, so why bother?? :confused:

christianity?? :confused:

anyhow... i plan on seeing it because i feel like it is another way for me to explore my own faith. i read as many different texts and translations of the bible as i can. i have read the Ramayana and the Mahabharata, skimmed the Quran. it's important for me to pull from as many sources as possible to help me better understand myself and my own faith in God. i feel like the movie is just another media...

4. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

In reference to your first comment about Paul's post, why must one adhere so strictly to the topic of the post?

As for Mel Gibson's religion, it is Catholicism but he does not follow commonly held practices of most modern catholics. He adheres to a 16th century traditional interpretation of the religion. It is also reported that he is in a 'Catholic Cult' that requires fasting on sundays and women to wear hats in church. Furthermore, this cult supposedly hates the pope and the vatican.

Either way, its not christianity as most of us know it.

As for my ideas about the movie, I saw it simply because its a movie. That is all it is. It may be anti-semetic, it may not be, it depends on your interpretation. My opinion however is that the movie has shown some of the hypocrisies of the religion. Fundamentalist Christians are adamantly against violence in movies, yet wholeheartedly promote and condone this movie simply because it is about Christ. This is quite a double standard.

5. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

I saw it for a couple reasons. Although I am not a Christian, I find the story itself is pretty interesting. Also, I wanted to see if it lived up to its reputation of nothing but stomach churning violence.

I enjoyed the movie, while the violence was hardly stomach churning (although that could just be me), the story was interesting, and the movie was very well made. The make-up and special effects were amazing.

The only part that made no sense to me, was in one scene, the devil was holding either a midget, or a big baby. Could someone explain that to me, please?

6. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I have to stop you there, fundamentalists are against unnessesary violence in movies. There is nothing wong with it if it is done in a proper way, showing the consequences of it. For example, Saving Private Ryan was a very violent and bloody movie, yet it did it in a good way that showed the consequences. And besides anyone can say they are a christain, it does not mean they are. I can say I am a buddist, then go out and kill someone, but that does not mean buddism is an evil religion.

I am a Christain (as in I believe Jesus is the son of God) and have not seen it and will most likely not see it at the cinema, mainly because I cant be bothered. But if someone I know particularly want to see it, I will probably go. Although I will most likely rent it if it comes on DVD.

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm a Christian also, feel that it is important for that reason. A Pastor friend of mine said that she went to see the movie, "I needed to see it so I could discuss it with others intelligently." She said that in some places, she had to cover her ears and eyes.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Though we have not seen it yet i just cant understand the fuss, it makes no sense to me. violence is in a lot of movies because humans are violent. Reading the bible people have to know that Christ was tortured and had a very violent death. Was Mel suppose to change the ending? There isnt no double standard why the surprise and the why the debate? What this shows to me is that lot of people all over the world are scared of who Christ was and what his teachings were. Jews are bothered by the fact they were looking for the savior( still are ) and had a hand in his death. Other groups are really bothered that if he was the son of God then they may be doing wrong in their daily lives. why Fear Jesus? Because just maybe He was the son of God. this is why the contoversy. I would like to see Mel come back now with the same actors and show all the Great things that he did,that he taught and that he showed.

I am not affiliated with any organized group. Man created the zillions of religeons Jesus did not.

9. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I am going next week to see it with my wife. She's Catholic, I'm not, but we are both practicing Christians. I wasn't really that interested in it until my Pastor told us in church that when he watched it, he felt like he was losing a friend. I didn't realise it was all that violent until he mentioned it. I tell you what, if Jesus' death was a violent as this movie makes it out to be, then he really suffered for us. I'll be able to render my own opinion on the movie next week.

10. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

I believe it was supposed to be the anti christ ie revalations

11. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

saw it the first thursday it opened ... it was awesome ... but i won't see it again ... i have no blood lust that i need to feed, so watching anyone beaten up for 2 hours like that did not in anyway excite me.

Why i saw it? i like seeing movies that have a lot of talk around them.

12. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

because Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights was sold out.

13. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I saw it for curiosity, actually I was invited. The movie reflect everything I already knew, it was 90% loyal to what I knew already. I didn't go because of the blod, actually that was a cons. I know many people are gonna go because of it.

I think this movie is gonna have the same fans as Titanic, that amount of people that enjoy seen the tragedy over and over again. I belive some people are a kind of sick.

Thye pain is part of the story but the production was ok. Actually is amazing that no one saw such lucrative story that require such low budged and production. It is like a Pet Rock case.

The movie was good to watch it just once because is something we already know. Crazy lady the one that died, I do not see such big deal.

14. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

there certainly is a double standard. this is a violent, gory film. people are taking their families to it. children. a woman died while watching it. if either of these two things were true of any of the other films this graphic, there would be public outrage. instead, the debate is limited to historic accuracy and religious intent. be real, i'm not arguing against it because i'm afraid of christ. subject matter aside, this film should not be considered a family film, as it is by too many. it shouldn't be exempt from criticism because it's about a religious icon. it should be rated NC-17, because too many parents are not doing their jobs.

paul

15. Bunzi2k4 thread starter macrumors 6502

I do see your point, but if you do read the Gospels (the first 4 books in the New Testament), it is fairly close to the movie. Should we prohibit little kids from reading the bible? I think the reason why there isn't a public outrage of the violence is because of the historical background. I am surprised when I see a 12 year old kid watching the movie, because I have never met a 12 year old kid mature enough to completely understand this movie. If i were a parent, i would not let my kids watch this movie until they were mature enough... regardless of age.

16. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

opus dei...an extremist catholic group excommunicated, on bad terms with, and not recognized by the pope and vatican because they don't believe a protestant can go to heaven...only members of opus dei...their stance is so confrontational that it does not go along with the current pope's ecumenical reach and general popularity outside of the catholic church

i have an employee and good friend who is a jehovah witness and he believes that only jehovah witnesses are going to heaven...though i know he has an extremist belief in that topic, salvation, like opus dei and like other far right/far left religious groups, we chose not to talk about the topic because he knows where i stand and i know where he stands

he also knows i considered, ten years ago, going to a master's program in ritual abuse who deprogram people from cults, and from extremist groups from the far right and far left...many people are damaged, and ripped off, by cults every day but from the person in the cult who is very invovled, they sometimes cannot see abuse or misappropriation of funds around them...i think he sees where he has donated and spent a huge amount of money, in proportion to what he makes, and sometimes i think he wants to confide in me some of the things he thinks is not quite right about his church and their financial setup...he already knows he has alienated his familty with his intense belief in the jehovah witnesses

though mel gibson drank and did drugs, some of his religious beliefs has affected his marriage as much since he cannot accept that his wife has a broader view, accepting protestants and catholics, and i think some of tom cruise's strongly held beliefs hurt his marriage to nicole kidman

when the furor dies down, i will most likely see the film and rate it for myself...i waited until last tempation of chirst's furor also died down before i saw it...because being a devout christian, like a lot of my protestant and catholic church members/believers, i might have been outraged at the general belief that the movie was made with the intention of slandering christ

though i didn't think temptation was accurate historically, i did objectively see that the movie was not out to slander christ

i know mel gibson's movie has been blamed as one that was set out to be anti semitic, but in a year or years from now when i see it, i suspect i will come to the conclusion that the movie was not out to diss any particular group and like most, if not all movies of christ that were big at the box office, an attempt at cinematic art and a "new" spin on a very old and famous story

much of what mel gibson has said has inflamed believers and non believers alike but the one thing he said, in the end, which i heard that made sense was that when it's all said and done, it's his interpretation of something that has changed his life

remember, there is no "one" interpretation of the passion, or other christian issues, and in bible college, we all worked together to make the bible real for us in different manners and have the word live in our lives

17. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I did not and will not because:

It is violent and I'm highly sensitive to violence. I don't mind a few cars being blown up or a buidling but beating on someone, rape, etc. is not something I can deal with.

Also, having gone through seminary I find "historical" depictions of religious happenings to be very frustrating because they are *So* inaccurate. I've found 3 mistakes just from seeing previews (Jesus being caucasion, Jesus carrying a Latin cross, Jesus wearing a loin cloth on the cross). I imagine the rest is pretty inaccurate too.

I did see: the last Temptation of CHrist for a class several years ago which was fiction and stated so from the beginning. But it is like watching a movie that was written from a book and one is always trying to figure out why the writer did this that or the other...

18. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

One even claimed (on a different board) that he thought it was okay for 12 year olds to see it :rolleyes:

19. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I thought Titanic was way over hyped... and I see your point ;)

20. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Thanks for the info!

Was I the only one who actually saw the beginning of the movie where it explicitly states that it is not intended to be historically accurate? That it was an fictional film that was intended to be fictional?

21. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

last temp made him out to be more human than most have thought

passion made him out to be a stoic western european christ like a renaissance painting

i suspect the truth has elements of both and many other elements

if christianity moved east instead, the art would make him out to be more on the asiatic side and while being mosty accurate, the skew/emphasis would be noticed years later by historians