Why you want a mac....

Discussion in 'OS X' started by willybNL, Apr 25, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502

Should speak for itself. Windows even asks questions you are not able to answer... Hate it when I get this (every month!)

Attached Files:

2. Nym
    macrumors 6502a

Nym

Actually a big difference between OSX and Windows is that in Windows I've always eagerly disabled automatic updates because of the hassle, while in OSX I'm addicted to them, when something new appears in software update I'll click immediately and go WHOPPEE :D

3. macrumors 6502

Indeed. But in a way, Apple updates are just as bad in that they require you to restart and you can't just close the window. For Windows, I'm not sure how my settings are but the behaviour is similar. It doesn't automatically restart though, that would be incredibly annoying.

4. macrumors 6502

This is not true. Only system-level updates require a restart, and you are free to go about your business until you are ready to restart. Nothing 'forces' you to restart. You can hide or minimize the window.

5. macrumors member

I particularly hate it how Windows just presents you with annoying dialogs constantly and sometimes gives you no option to change anything (like these update dialogs). This is the most difficult thing to get used to again when I use a pc.

Nice pic :D

6. macrumors 603

roland.g

Windows is like the DMV, plan on being there all day for something that should take 10 minutes.

7. macrumors 68020

In that case, "dialog" is not really the correct word, is it? More like "monologue" boxes. ;)

--Eric

8. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Post of the day nomination. :)

I don't have to deal with MS's updates or patches that often. But Adobe's on our university / hospital computers drive me insane. Do you want me to automatically look for updates for you? Oh, no? In that case, let me go look at what updates are available and tell you about them. You don't want to install any of them? Are you sure? When would you like me to ask you again? Ugh.

9. macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Windows has found new hardware!
    Corsair Flash Voyager!
    New Hardware Wizard!
    Can windows connect to the internet to find the appropriate drivers? - No
    Install drivers automatically (recommended) - sure
    Searching for drivers....
    Drivers cannot be found. Would you like to search the internet? - I said no!
    Back
    Install drivers from a location (advanced) - alright, how 'bout you
    Portable Media (floppy, CD) - no, I lost the disk
    Location (HD) - I know I downloaded the drivers
    {searches for a while through tree structure, eventually finding drivers}
    These drivers are not compatible with this version of Windows, would you like to search the internet.
    -Fine.
    Welcome to the microsoft network. Please type your question.. -^%$# off!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Windows has detected that your computer is in freefall from your third floor apartment window Allow or Deny....

10. macrumors G4

Go to the Registry Editor and add a new DWORD value in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software?Policies/Microsoft/WindowsWindows Update/AU named NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers and set it to 1. You'll still get an annoying message, but without the time limit.

11. macrumors regular

I hate the automatic software updates and dialog boxes in windows..I've had the computer restart itself while i was in the middle of something very important before....