Why Your Kids Absolutely, Positively Should NOT Own An iPod!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by stoid, Oct 18, 2004.

1. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

An interesting argument no doubt, but shouldn't parents be able to control their kids behavior?

Link

2. Bear macrumors G3

Yes, parents should be able to control their kids, but I don't think enbough adults have parenting skills and maybe should've waited awhile longer before having kids.

But this probably should be in a different forum as it's not really a Mac or Apple issue.

3. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I have an iPod, and I don't ignore my mom. I must be in the minority ;).

4. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Stupid.

It's a matter of parents needing to control their kids. Nothing more.

It's not the iPod's (or any mp3/cd player) fault that the kids won't listen to their parents, it's the parents and the kids.

Typical "blame it on everything else!!" motto.

5. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

This isn't a new problem kids have had portable music players for years.

6. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Yeah, we should be blaming it on Sony and their accursed Walkman! :p

7. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

8. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

That is the biggest pile of ******** i've ever seen.

9. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

Absolutely! I love it. It's so very nice to use while I'm doing drawings and other art related projects for college. Too bad my campus uses Windows, or computers with FW for that matter, because it sure would come in handy for transferring projects between my laptop and campus computers rather than relying on CD/E-mail systems.

Besides, being almost 20 and living on my own, I'm hardly a kid.

If you want to get an iPod though, I wouldn't recommend showing this article to your parents. ;)

10. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Hmm, the tone of this article seemed very tongue in cheek to me, so I don't see the problem with it (the article).

11. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

The conclusion to the article made it sound more like a positive addition to their household than a negative. As for all the other problems, try giving that kid an iTunes allowance (very easy thanks to Apple) and making your kid take off the headphones while you talk to them... doesn't sound that difficult to me!

12. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Thats what i mean. The article is pointless!

13. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

I remember it was the same story 25 years ago when the first walkmans came out. :D I use to listen to mine all the time then!

14. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

You know this would of been the same situation if the mom bought the teen a dull DJ. So we would read the same article but, replace iPod with Dull Dj. Seriously, Parents can never blame themselves for not disciplining kids today. Blaming it on a product is a big time low.

15. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

if the iPod is so powerful that parents will lose all control of their kids they must not be good parents in the first place. was this article out when walkmans were introduced? or the cd player? give me a break!

besides the iPod is more leaverage for the parent /.... something they can take away that will really make the kids ears perk up

p.s. listening to and enjoying music is bad. so is enjoying art!!! :mad:

16. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

But you what you dont realize is that in every iTMS song, if you play it backwards... you can hear Steve saying.... Buy an Apple Computer....

It's brainwashing the kids... NO NOT APPLE! ;)

17. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

That was funny

There was a serious bit of sarchasm there (Oldies like Talking heads - hahahah) - I guess it was an article to mostly fill the need to write a story I suppose - but I sent it off to my brother in law who kids are begging for iPods - the title alone was enough to make me look - and it worked for you all - that is just good marketing for Parentingtaxi.com!

:)

18. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

once again, my compadres at MR are correct. This article is a load of *********. But what can you expect from parents that visit sites like this? I'm not knocking all parenting sites, but come on... Anyway... the important thing to remember here is that people said the exact same thing about the Walkman, and that was 20 years ago-- a generation. So a generation of walkman kids have grown up, and the rivers and lakes haven't turned red with blood yet. He sounds like many teenagers I've known... perhaps she just didn't know what to expect? all in all, i don't see what she's fretting about. teens are supposed to have introverted phases, music doesn't cause that, it just facilitates it.

paul

19. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Again ... read the article. Read some of the comments above.

This article is not serious. Just look at the tone, and see what they are saying.

I hope the people that seriously think this article is upsetting never watch The Daily Show. Their heads would probably explode.

20. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Unbelievable. I would have thought the "tongue-in-cheekiness" of the article would be apparent to anyone and everyone - but only a very small number of posters caught it!

P.S. My 14-year-old daughter has an iPod, and I haven't seen any additional communications issues come from it. Matter of fact, she likes a lot of my "old" music (i.e. Nirvana).

21. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm amazed that the filter didn't get that :eek:

But I agree :D

22. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

'Hey look everybody, the world is going to hell because of this crazy new device:
    [​IMG]
    The Walkman will doom us all!

Oh please.

23. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

That thing is older than I am! :eek:

I love my iPod, but I never listen to it too loud (I am hypersensitive, anywhoo) and I actually have a nice relationship with my mom...

24. macdaddy23 macrumors newbie

macdaddy23

Why do they feel that they need to blame it on iPod? I feel that's a bit unfair. Like most people here are saying why not bash the sorry MP3 players? Or Dell? I'm 16 and that iPod gets me through the day at high school. If I want to be left alone I tell people, not ignore them by blasting my music. I hardly ever listen to my iPod once I'm home. I walk in the door and set it on the charger for the next day. From the fist 3 sentences of that article I could tell that person was a moron. They could spend more time with there kids rather that cry about Apple's iPod and how it 'Destroyed the way Kids Listing To Parents'!!! HA HA HA. (Next years big million dollar movie) Point being, article is crap.

25. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Just burn 'em with a cigarette, that'll get their attention (and keep it) every time.