Why Zidane snapped (supposedly)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by d wade, Jul 13, 2006.

1. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

let me start by saying i am 100% italian, grandparents and whatnot are from italy... so i'm very happy about the win.

my stepdad reads the italian newspaper everyday.. and read some interesting tidbits about the headbutt that went down during the world cup.

according to the italian newspaper... the defender was slightly holding and tugging frenchman Zidane's jersey to slow him down at times. Zidane then said to the defender "You can keep the jersey for memorabilia after we win."

the italian defender replied with something to the affect "I do not want anything from you, you come from Terrorist blood." supposedly Zidane's mom is from Afghanistan or something like that.

keep in mind these are not direct quotes, just repeating what my stepdad remembered from the article. i thought it was very interesting to see what would make such a seasoned veteran snap like that.

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

3. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

His family is from Algeria.

I don't think we'll ever know why he snapped - they both seem too embarassed about what was said. Maybe they professed undying love to each other and the headbut was foreplay?

4. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

From the interview w/ Zidane, Materazzi insulted both his mother and his sister.

One lip-reader said his mother was called a "Terrorist W**re."

Materazzi is known for playing dirty, and as can be seen in close up videos, he was pinching and twisting Zidane's chest moments before the insults were said.

I don't blame him at all for what he did. The guy was a dirty player, was assulting him, then insuted his mother and sister - that's asking for trouble.

Sure, it sucks it was during his last game, but honestly, I couldn't think of a better time to pay back a cheater.

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    There are pages on this in the World Cup thread but for a quick rehash

Zidane's heritage is Algerian

The 'terrorist' quote came from a opportunist Parisian anti-racism group and both Matterazzi and Zidane have said that wasn't what was said.

Zidane has said it was a comment about his mother and sister that was repeated. He's apologised to the children of France but would do it again. FIFA are investigating Matterazzi's comments. M's call on it is that it was a typical football field insult.

Regardless, Zidane's headbutt was an overreaction but a footballer known not just for his fancy footwork but his temper (8 of his 14 sendings off have been after punching/slapping or headbutting another player - yup, this was his second headbutt). Hey if we're delving into Matterazzi's reputation, it's only fair to do it the other way.

6. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

The problem is that several lip-readers have looked closely at the incident – each of them seems to have come up with different things. There are only two people who know exactly what was said between the two of them, and for the time being at least neither Zidane or Materazzi are going to tell.

7. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Interestngly enough, it dosen't matter what Materazzi said, Zidane shouldn't have headbutted him. Had the ref heard what Materazzi said it might have warranted a yellow (or even a red, who knows), but a blatant attack like that is always a red, for whatever reason. I say this not as an Italy supporter (which I am) but as a FIFA-trained soccer ref. Both Materazzi and Zidane were being stupid. Zidane was stupider. Now move on.

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Geeze it was a glorious headbutt. One of the best I've seen, couldn't believe a headbutt to the chest of a larger man could send him a-o-t.

Zidane must be as strong as an Ox.

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
  10. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Agreed. The placement and force we admirable.

11. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

hahahah. thanks for that.

12. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

I just laughed so hard everyone in the rest of the house asked me if I was okay. Thanks for making my day!

13. calculus Guest

calculus

Very amusing.

I wish we could all get away with the same standards of behaviour at work. Get pissed off with someone, headbutt them and get banned from work for a couple of days.

14. monke macrumors 65816

monke

That's hilarious, thanks for the link.

15. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

16. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Fark.com had a caption contest on this yesterday. A number of them seemed plausible.

I think my favorite was "I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico."

Thems's fightin' words in some places.

17. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

18. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i read somewhere that martial arts experts have categorized the headbutt as a well placed, professional headbutt.

19. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    That headbutt was one of the funniest things I've seen in sports....

Whatever was said to him...doesn't matter...he F'd up...and now he'll regret it for the rest of his life...

Hilarious..

20. d wade thread starter macrumors 65816

d wade

so what i thought was a ground breaking report on my part, is old news.. LOL!

and those links were absolutely hysterical (only funny cuz italy won)

21. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

He is a footballer...

I'm a big Zidane fan, but these links/animated gifs are hilarious.

22. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Personally, I see nothing amusing or funny about the whole incident. As of today, Zidane's mother, Milaka, (who by the way is hospitalized and in critical health) is quoted as calling for Materazzi's balls to be chopped off. If the Italian did call Zidane "the son of a terrorist whore" not once, but thrice, or if he said he'd "rather take off the shirt of his (Zidane's) wife, then I don't blame Zidane for putting him on his arse, red card, protocol, legend, outcome, FIFA rules and public opinion aside.

23. d wade thread starter macrumors 65816

d wade

however it is exactly what the italian player was trying to do. get inside his head. i do admit that what he was saying may have been a bit harsh.. but these are grown men.

athletes talk smack to each other in all sports. i played alot of sports in high school. (american) football is pretty bad let me tell you. theres always the loud mouth sh*t talker on the team, and he tries to get you rattled. well he got Zidane out of the game when his team needed him most.

i do however admire the headbutt. it was in perfect form, i've never seen anything like it. go italy;):p

24. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Hmm, That seems to be the right sort of response :rolleyes:

Zidane has had to cope with this all of his career, I just think that either:
    he could have let it slide, being his last ever competetive football match

or

He could have been more brutal to Materazzi, I mean, a crappy headbutt like that is nothing, he should have broken his jaw and stop him from saying anything for a couple of weeks. A weak headbutt in the chest is pointless.