Why?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xsedrinam, Jun 18, 2005.

1. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Not trying to be smart or a wise-guy; but WHY would anyone want to run Windows on their Mac? I've had VPC6 in a box for over two years or so, and haven't even opened it. Haven't needed it. Now that links for "MacIntel" are showing in various Mac sites http:macupdate.com, I'm starting a slow burn.
    X

2. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Sorry to go off topic but I love your quote, roughly translated to english, "intelligence follows me, but I am faster".

3. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i have a bunch of software at work that only runs under windows (instrument specific image and data analysis stuff). would be nice to be able to check my data (e.g. before a presentation) at home without bringing a windows notebook from work. vpc is too slow for that software and i guess some other smaller programs we have probably don't work with vpc.

andi

4. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

I have to have a windows os to run the software that lets me dial into work. It will not run on OSX properlly and when I get close it cant connect to my main computer at work. I have kept trying to get it to work and played with back and forth on my down time but I just need windows. If I could I would ditch without looking back but until that day. Hopefully at least with the new x86 Macs I wont need two seperate boxes and will be able to run Windows through my Mac at native speeds. This will free up my cash to buy more Macs. :p

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Same as others, Windows specifc stuff. Be nice to run it under something like WINE. Imagine running Windows programs without really needing all the mess that comes with Windows. As in, no more virus or spyware worries. I don't really game, but I know a lot of peope who do.

7. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

Gaming and alot of CAD software is only available on Windows, iBelieve.

8. unfaded macrumors 6502

Same reasons anyone would want to run VPC, but with the speed of a regular PC.

I would think this is pretty obvious.

9. ahuman7341 macrumors regular

DARWINE

WINE is being ported to the mac and they are calling it DARWINE its not done yet, beta versions are already out they need to be ran through Xcode somehow maybe im unclear about it, i havent got it to work, but eventually.

10. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Portability. You have a friend who owns a PC nad gives you a document which opens with a specific PC application.

I am a university student, and in there they are ALL using PC's. There is not even ONE mac in that university. So, they tell us "build that program into devc++ and bring it here for evaluation." They will not accept anything else than a PC program. I live in greece, and Mac support here is pathetic.

Or another example: In our university we get involved in a program called "Mathematica". So, the proffesssors tell us to buy the program or just obtain it from the kids in the main resaturant who sell cracked copies of it!

Well, the cracked copies are all for PC, and I had to obtain VPC for this kind of work, until I found the program for the mac.

11. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

So, at this juncture, it's market place (i.e. job place pressure) and games. The assertion that it's obvious for the same reasons one uses VPC assumes we all do, which we don't. I'm not a gamer, not on the same page or even the same book with that rationale. Maybe "Think Different" has morphed to something more like "Think Duplicity". That Jobs reportedly stated [Apple has been living a double life for about 5 years] was unsettling; not that the duplicity was going on, but that at the core, things were moving toward M$ and not vice versa.

I haven't read up enough lately to even ask the right questions, but must admit that canned responses tinted with glasses from the dark side don't melt my butter, either. The "why" goes beyond firm grasps of the obvious (job place pressure and games). "To be is to be like" has been a philosophically Latin (Brazilian) phrase coined by their Nobel Prize winner. Maybe Apple has been there longer than we know.
    X

12. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Your professors are encouraging you to get pirated software? Yikes! Do they also permit you to turn in plagiarised assignments?

13. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

No, they don't do that. You see, things are different between stealing someone else's idea, and oobtaining something you need at low cost, even if it is stolen.

Many people so not have the money or the way to obtain something from the internet. Kids do not have broadband internet access. So, students have cracked mathematica and are giving it for about 3 euros each copy. They have also cracked longhorn beta, many games and proffessional apps.

They also sell music CD's at 2 euros each. They are in front of the main restaurant, where all people can browse the products and buy what they want.

IMO it's very complicated to define which software can be purchased cracked and by whom. The way I see it, students should be allowed to have access to applications they need such as mathematica at a very low price, if not for free.

14. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Mathematica IS available for Mac and PC at a low price for students: a 6 month verion is EU29 , a 1-year version is EU45 or a non-time-limited version for students is EU128.

In Greece the student edition is available through
    MP & Associates
    119-121 Formionos Street
    Kaissariani
    Athens 16121
    Greece

In other words, it is comparable to the cost of a textbook.

There is no justification for stealing the software. Your need for it does not mitigate the fact that it is stealing. How is stealing an idea different from stealing code (the expression of an idea)?

15. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

I only like Windows for the choice of games.

I'd seriously LOVE to see the day when Counter-Strike runs native on OS X.

I don't play games too often though, which is why I'm cosidering selling my p4 and using my iBook as my main computer until the Mactels come out.

16. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

There are a number of sites on the internet where students can buy essays and dissertations they can print out and hand in, claiming it to be their own work – would your professors accept you submitting such an assignment? You've not stolen it from anyone, after all – just obtained it at low cost.

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You seem to be confusing Intel with Windows. Though I was apprehensive about the change at first as well, it actually makes me feel better that they had been planning for this for awhile as well. It's good to keep your options open, and based on what I've now seen the PowerPC isn't going anywhere. Unfortunate, but we all just have to accept it. So Apple had a backup plan, just in case, and it's a good thing they did. Now it's going to pay off.

The fact that you can run Windows or Windows apps is just a happy side effect, and you should be embracing it even if you don't necessarily need it. Some of us do. You should be looking at this as an opportunity for us to move away from Windows.

18. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Probably a good way to look at it; hardware, software and OS's should be separate issues, though it still takes some semantical manuverings to do so, IMO. But options being opened is usually a good thing.
    X