Wi-Fi bridges/access points/something? Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by LastLine, Sep 3, 2006.

1. LastLine macrumors 65816

I've just moved into a new student house at uni where we have a well wired broadband connection. (or as far as BT go to being good in the UK)

What I'd like to know (as despite serious searching I still aren't right sure) is does such a thing exist as to allow me to create a wireless access point in htis network, by plugging an adapter into one of the wall based Network ports (as I don't have access/ability to change the router) so I can use my Macbook without being confined to my desk.

Doesn't need to be fast, or hugely reliable, but cheap and easy are important.

If anyone gets what I mean perhaps you can help out on this one :)

2. the7dwarfs macrumors newbie

Yes such a thing does exist, and amazingly its called a wireless access point. You simply add one to an existing network and it adds wireless functionality.

I personally use this linksys.

Most main networking maufacturers do access points though so shop around for the one that suits you best.

3. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

Ah so it is an Access point? When I was googling around I became under the impression that Access Point could also describe a router so wanted to make sure :)

4. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

Well I got one of those linksys ones you suggested and it seems straight forward enough to set up...on Windows anyway. Do I assume that once i've done it in Windows the access point will broadcast on a standard channel that my OS X machine will be able to pick up happily?

Or better still - any advice on how to set up for a Mac from scratch, the packaging doesn't give any help on that.

Also how do I find the IP Address of my Network gateway to enter into it?

Sorry I know I sound n00bish :p

5. the7dwarfs macrumors newbie

Sadly the software provided is windows only, however it is still possible to configure via a web browser. The ip address should be mentioned somewhere in the manual included with the access point but I think the default is 192.168.1.245

And you can find the ip address of your gateway by either looking in its documentation or it might be in your system preferences under networking, If you look under tcp/ip its the router address.

6. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh I don't mind using their software or not.

It's more a case of trying to figure out how to give the thing to give off the signal in the first place - if I need to use windows to do that I'll boot into Windows on the Macbook. Though obviously I'd rather avoid.

So you reckon
    Should be the address for my router?

7. bartelby macrumors Core

8. the7dwarfs macrumors newbie

No I would guess 192.168.1.245 is the address of your access point.

Edit: as bartelby says your router (default gateway) address is likely to be 192.168.1.1 but not definately.

9. CyberB0b macrumors regular

CyberB0b

The default address of your access point will be 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 most likely. It will say for sure in the user manual that comes with the router or the user manual you can find at the manufacturer's web site.

10. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

Right well I've got the wi-fi up and running (typing through it now) but for some reason I'm damned if I can secure it. The windows software tells me there's no Network connectioon found when I try and follow the setup through, and I can't figure out how to access the wireless access point through the web based idea that was suggested - just the netgear router. Any ideas?

11. the7dwarfs macrumors newbie

If you have the linksys I linked you to then the default ip is 192.168.1.245 however you will not be able to access this if your computer is not in the same ip range/subnet.

The best way to configure the access point is to plug it straight into your computer make sure your ip address is in the 192.168.1.x range in system preferences, Then in your web browser go to 192.168.1.245 and you should get the login screen for the access point.

12. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok, so my computers ip tells me its 192.168.0.2 which is a different range right? If so how do I change to be on a 192.168.1.x set up?

13. the7dwarfs macrumors newbie

Go into system preferences then networking, double click Built in ethernet then go to the TCP/IP tab and change the configure ipv4 to manually.

change your ip address to 192.168.1.2 with the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, plug your computer directly into the access point and go to 192.168.1.245 in your web browser.

If all the above works you should then be able to administer the access point. You should change the access points ip from 192.168.1.245 to 192.168.0.245 so you can access it from your network and after that change your computers settings back to "configure via DHCP" in the system preferences.

14. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

Well everything's now up and running great. both the 360 and OS X on a securred Network. Can't speak for my windows side yet - haven't tried it but can't imagine it being any trouble. Cheers all.

15. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I always thought it was 192.168.1.254 (not 245)?

At least, that's what my wireless router is set as.

I thought it was cos there's 255 addresses available, so starting at 0, the last one is 254.

Not sure why it would be 245, but hey, if it works for you, all is fine.

16. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok guys

So here's the deal - I got the connection going but I can no longer get into the access point's settings to alter things - also I've got a Windows machine that just won't detect the Network (or any others around) Can anyone suggest how I might solve this problem(s)