Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AT&T has flipped the switch on Wi-Fi calling, making it available to customers with eligible plans that are running iOS 9. MacRumors has received tips from customers who were able to activate Wi-Fi calling and we were able to activate the feature on our own iPhones. A number of readers in our forums are also having success activating Wi-Fi calling.

Wi-Fi calling is a feature that lets calls be placed over a wireless connection when cellular connectivity is poor, functioning much like an AT&T M-Cell does now. It's similar to Apple's own FaceTime Audio feature, which also routes calls over a Wi-Fi connection.

AT&T customers can turn on Wi-Fi calling by going to the Phone section of the Settings app and toggling on the Wi-Fi calling feature. From there, there are a set of steps to walk through, including entering an emergency 911 address. Wi-Fi calling is available on the iPhone 6, 6s, 6 Plus, and 6s Plus running iOS 9.

att_wifi_calling_setup_1-800x704.jpg

Customers who want to use Wi-Fi calling need to have AT&T HD voice features enabled, along with an Internet connection. Wi-Fi calling can be used for voice calls within the United States, Puerto Rico, and United States Virgin Islands at no charge. Long distance global voice calls will be charged standard long distance rates.

Once the setup process is complete, customers are receiving notifications letting them know the Wi-Fi calling feature will be available after a short activation period.

att_wifi_calling_setup_2-800x354.jpg

AT&T promised to launch Wi-Fi calling alongside iOS 9, but last week announced the feature was delayed due to its inability to get an FCC waiver that would temporarily allow the carrier to forgo offering support options for deaf and hard-of-hearing customers. On Tuesday of this week, AT&T finally received the waiver that it needed to move forward with Wi-Fi calling.

Article Link: Wi-Fi Calling Now Available for AT&T Users

kenotke

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2015
what do i do with my m-cell now? cell coverage was horrible in my house, hence the m-cell. But, wifi calling can be used anywhere!!

Reactions: AppleCaked

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
charging long distance fees when using a service that puts 0 load on their networks is criminal.

well, if its domestic long distance its just charged your regular calling rate, which is probably unlimited. calling internationally using wifi calling is the same as calling internationally with cellular. most people aren't like me, they do not have minute plans. i have 100 minutes a month. a wifi call minute is the same as a cellular call minute.

the other end of the call is a real telephone number, so i guess that is where they think its fair to treat it as a real cellular call

what is really criminal is what they do with the AT&T microcell. they have you pay $199 for one

there is an optional unlimited microcell calling plan they want you to sign up for, in case you have a plan that has limited amount of minutes. back in 2009, the unlimited calling feature for your microcell was $19.99 a month extra, this allows any of the registered phone numbers are assigned to our microcell ( up to 10 ) to be able to have unlimited calling. just in case they have legacy plans.

oh , but that is not all. any cellular data that you use on the microcell , even though you are providing them with your own internet connection, goes against your plan.

so even though you paid $199 for a microcell you still have to use wifi to prevent AT&T from charging you for going over.

and through this whole mess, little t-mobile is minding their own business and giving away wifi routers and cell phone boosters for those people who need them. they have been giving away cell phone boosters for probably 10 years, and tmo is even giving out marshmallow to all the old phones, and people just go on forums and say that t-mobile sucks.

Last edited:

kcirtap00

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2014
I can finally answer phone scammers right away at work now instead of hearing their 2-second silent voicemails later. :) Just for reference, we get no cell signal at work.

Seriously though, this will be amazing for me at home since cell signal is very weak there.

I noticed that mine doesn't work on the wifi at work but it does at home. It may have something to do with NAT or UPnP support but I'm not sure. Maybe you'll have more luck.

Reactions: wdog119

TomTomTuning

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2010
Central PA
I travel to Toronto a few times a year, and I was hopping this would allow me to make calls over Wi-Fi, but judging by the comments here, I guess that is not possible. Bummer.

I get great cell signal at home and work. So unless traveling (in the US) and on Wi-Fi, it's not super useful for me. :(

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
Says you need ATT HD. Assume that means having Voice and Data checked under Settings/Cellular/Enable LTE.

Guess my wife 5 doesn't have wifi Calling---

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.