Wi-Fi Networks with a "lock" sign.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Angelo Z, Dec 22, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

I am curious, but how do you get the password for a network that has a "lock" icon next to the name? What does it all mean?

2. macrumors 601

You don't get the password. It's locked so that you can't use it.

3. macrumors 65816

valdore

For that, you'll have to find your neighbor and hold a gun to his or her head. That's pretty much the only way. It means their router signal is encrypted, to prevent others from using it.

4. Retired

psychofreak

It means that the person who set the network up decided not to let anyone and everyone connect, only those with the password...

5. macrumors newbie

Its there to keep people out of their network. It may sound rude to you but its there for a reason.

6. macrumors 68020

JML42691

It is there so that people who aren't paying for it and don't have permission to use it can't access it. It appears that you are not allowed to use it as you are asking for the password, and thus won't be able to. Mainly, people don't want others to be able to gain free internet access of them when they are paying money for it and they want to keep files on shared computers safer.

7. macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

Its perfectly logical.

People pay for an ISP, and protect it so other people dont use their internet for free.

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

There is one that appears without a lock sign. I select it, and I still can't get on the internet.

9. macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

Two threads arent going to get you answer's any faster.
    View the other thread you started, there are fresh replies.

10. macrumors 6502

stevento

just ask the person who owns the network if you can use it and they'll say ok and give you the password.
    i've never had someone say no you cant use my network.
    passwords are just so you know who is using it because leaving it open to anyone is highly insecure. i could steal files over my router .

11. thread starter macrumors newbie

I have done the same, and it worked. I just stole internet from someone with an open network. Now how do I know where the guy with the secure network lives?

12. mpw

This just means you're connecting to their network, if their network isn't connected to the interweb then you can't either.

Alternatively just guess. I did this in the pub recently, impressed the lady I was with no end. Helps if they name their network something obvious: the network I could see was called "Alpha", I got it with my first guess what do you reckon it was?

13. macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

The network you can't access without the lock has MAC filtering enabled - so while not encrypted - your computer is not on the "ok" list - and won't be able to use the internet via his router.

There are many GOOD reasons to not share a connection - and wifi works both ways. Trust me that if I found someone hijacking my info or network via wifi - they will have problems. Serious ones.

14. macrumors 6502a

apsterling

Omega? :p

There's been the occasional network (F.E. Lunch today) that tries to go through some sort of login redirect... and it fails on my iPod but works on my mom's PDA. Just goes to show.

15. mpw

[​IMG]

16. macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Beta? Male?

Haha Alpha Beta! Gotta love Revenge of The Nerds