Wi Fi Thief

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by carbonmotion, Nov 25, 2005.

1. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

It's been a long time since I've gone home and now that I'm finally home I find that everything is the same... except there's a WiFi theif in my neigborhood. I only know because my dad's been complaining about slow internet speeds and back when I was in highschool (three and half years ago) I got 700kbps downloadspeeds. Now it seems I barely get above 30... could my ultra fast 70 bucks a month dsl connection be ripping me off? Well, the answer provided itself when I overheard my neighbor's kid talk on his cell phone on his drive way while I was getting groceries out of the car. He said he didn't have internet at his house but he "ganks" his neigbor's wireless for Battlefield 2. I realized that he must of meant my wireless. Personally I don't really care if someone uses my open wi fi for casual browsing, but taking up 99% of the bandwith is just too much. I don't want to talk to him face to face since it's kinda awkward, is there anyway for me to send him a message, since I have his mac address? I really don't want to use WPA, I just wish people didn't abuse open wifi.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

How about just close all of the MAC addresses except your family's?

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Geez, just turn on SOME kind of security... MAC addresses, WEP, you name it. Don't confront him about it, just do it and let him worry about his sudden loss of connectivity.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

u should lock your wifi man....never know what he can do and plus if he's taking that much then u should at least block him.

Bless

5. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

well i cant block his mac address and my parents aren't tech savey enough to type in a password (don't roll your eyes at me, they're old). as for adding every MAC address in the house to the router, i dunno... seems like it'd be alotta trouble when my dad brings home his laptop from work... and i'll be back to school. i'd rather send him a message... if that doesn't work, I'll use brute force.

6. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

You'll only have to enter the password once. Keychain will do the rest of the work for you.

7. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

they're on windows 98

8. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

maybe i should just talk to the kid's parents... i mean if hes parents cancelled internet they must have a good reason right? the fact that he's using mine to play games means he's not doing his homework.

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Munkle's right... you'd only have to enter the WEP password once on any given machine, Mac or PC.

I wouldn't tolerate a WiFi thief who messes with your connection sufficiently that it causes you to post here about it. He's obviously gone beyond the point of what any reasonable person might call "acceptable behavior".

10. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

You really need to protect yourself and turn on WPA. If you are using an Apple Airport, it is very very easy to do. Your parents won't need to do a thing once it is enabled, your mac only asks for the password once when you first set it up.

Your neighbor or just someone driving by could do something illegal and the Feds will trace it to you. Don't be stupid, protect yourself. I knew someone in college who thought it was funny to wardrive and then send bogus messages to www.fbi.gov. Sad but true. Turn on that WPA!

11. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

You can rename the wi-fi network, and turn off SSID broadcast. That at least prevents non-savvy users from accessing your internet.

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

12. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

ok is there anyway i can send this kid a message using his mac address?

13. savar macrumors 68000

savar

It's hardly stealing to take something which you're making publically available. When you put rubbish out at the curb, its not stealing if somebody comes along and takes something out of it.

Use the slightest bit of security and it sounds like no prob. A WEP password is definitely easiest, make it a super simple word for your parents. You can even go ahead and set it up on all the computers that are around the house, and tell your dad to call you when he brings home his work laptop -- if it comes to that.

edit: no you cant send him a message on his mac address...not one he's likely to see anyways. if you want to go the personal route, then just grow up and walk over there and confront him and/or his parents about it. like i said above, i hardly think he's doing anything wrong. if you're giving something away how you can get mad at somebody for taking it?

14. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

i actually don't mind ppl using it for casual browsing, it just bothers me that i pay for a 700kps download speed and i can't even stream a cctv newscast

15. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Lock down to the MAC addresses. I think some routers can block certain ports. Maybe try and find port that BF 2 uses and block that. Also, I recommend listening to a few Security Now! podcasts. They talk about WEP, WPA, and MAC filtering. Just a suggestion.:rolleyes:

16. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

That's a rubbish analogy (pun intended).

And yes, it is stealing.

17. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Try using this app
    http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21888

Should work for you.

and ps, you really should lock down your Wifi connection, it may be a pain, but its worth it. Teach your parents that its a necessary evil, kinda like insurance, you need to have it.

18. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

funny, when i was in highschool, this sounded like something i would do. strange how 3 and half years changes you... sigh, i must be getting old.

19. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

thanks a bunch

20. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I'm wondering how sending a message but not talking to him or parents will accomplish anything, and conversely why 15 minutes of setting up any kind of security is too time consuming???

21. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Exactly. Why is it that you don't want any kind of security, which we have all told you is very easy to set up, and only has to be done once..? Odd.

22. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

You've probably spent as much time on this thread as it would have taken to secure the wifi...

23. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Because he's already said that his parents are using Win 98 and if something goes awry, they won't be able to fix. I completely understand. I had to set up my aunt's Win 98 PC to work with wifi in the summer. It took me 6 hours since it would only accept WEP security intermittently and there was no way my aunt would be happy figuring it out.

In the end I changed the SSID to something only the family would understand and hid the SSID. No MAC addresses either since the kids bring home laptops from school on occasion and they weren't there to add their addresses. Carbonmotion, that's probably the easiest thing to do; sure, your dad will have to remember the name of the network to key in when he brings home a laptop from work but aside from that, it shouldn't be a problem.

24. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

I've noticed that when connecting to some wi-fi networks (usually the ones that you pay to use) some special website (usually a login screen and/or some welcome message) will be displayed. What kind of setup (hardware/software) do you need to do that?

Could have a welcome site with a simple "Use too much bandwidth and I'll kick your ass/disable the network" type of message.

Re: Open networks

I used to have mine open since I don't mind if people just use it for simple e-mail checking, light browsing, and the internet coverage around here used to be pretty bad. I'm just happy to share... But I secured it with WPA when I noticed that someone was leeching a little bit too much. Was causing major latency issues when playing WoW, and I can't have any of that ;)

25. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I don't understand the resistance to MAC filtering, you just have your ad bring home his laptop and enter it in, its really not that hard. If its a linksys router ( and other brands too I"m sure) you can even set up remote access so all he has to do is give you the number and you enter it.

In my apartment at college I did this to the people in my building since our cable got turned on first. I turned it on and labeled it FREEINTERNET, by the end of the day I had ten users on my network. First thing I did was turn off the aim port for about an hour. Then I flushed them all off just to tease ... hehe haha