Wi-Fi....what's the catch?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by sakca015, Sep 5, 2007.

1. macrumors member

Well...just wondering....what's going to be 'the catch' to having the internet on the new ipod touch? is it "just going to work" or is there going to be some sort of cell-phone style purchasing of data or access....or whatever.

sorry if this is dumb but i don't have an iphone....and never had the cash to throw down for internet on my phone......how would this work?

2. macrumors Core

the catch is not everywhere has unlocked or accessible wifi if at all.

3. macrumors 68040

Telp

It only works over wifi, unlike the iphone which has EDGE as well. Thats the catch. As long as the wifi is there, and the ipod supports it, you can access it (unless of course youh ave to pay for it but that would suck and its not worth it)

4. macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

There's free wifi all over this town, as it's full of engineers and college kids. :)

The biggest disappointment for me on the iPod touch is the lack of email client. Even if it's just via wifi, an email client would be perfect. I could stop somewhere for a bite to eat, read news, check email, listen to a few tunes, and be on my way.

If they add email to the touch (or I decide to switch to Gmail), I won't have a need for my laptop in 99% of the cases.

5. macrumors Core

and thats how they're going to help differentiate the phone from the touch

6. macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

That's too bad, because I'll be damned if I'm gonna dump Verizon for AT&T, as I can't get a single bar of coverage with any AT&T phone that's been to my house. Verizon has full coverage (both 1xCDMA and EVDO) on my KRZR at my house.

7. macrumors Core

it is, but you know its Apple and thats how they do things.
    its a shame that you don't get coverage though. its the opposite with me (at&t full and Verizon 0)

8. macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Yeah ... I'm curious to know the thinking behind the 8GB iPhone price drop.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple push out new iPod touch features as soon as the sales curve starts to dip. Either that or WWDC, whichever comes first.

9. macrumors 6502

I actually wonder if this is a hidden reason for not having a mail app in the iPod. Since they're all buddy-buddy now with Google, are they trying to entice people to switch to web-based mail, which could mean GMail by default?

10. macrumors 603

HLdan

You can access your email from Safari, remember it's an "iPod" which is made for music and video.