Wi-fi with 4 mile range!?!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by vniow, Nov 4, 2002.

1. macrumors G4

click me once

click me twice

the company

Woah!

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 6502a

al256

"Meet the man delivering free wireless Internet access to Aspen, Colorado. Jim Selby has antennae broadcasting Internet access so that people in a 45-square-mile area with a computer and a $120 plug-in card can surf the Web over the air waves for free at speeds 30 times faster than with a standard modem. "

http://www.techtv.com/freshgear/shownotes/story/0,23008,3401651,00.html

We kinda of have something like that in Colorado, but you have to buy the card. When I saw this episode I saw some guy using a PowerBook G4 and the wireless internet access. Oh, and the guy who does this (service), like, uses alot of PowerMacs.

3. macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

This would be great for colleges and university...it'd save them a lot of money, and allow me to quit getting dropped in my classroom when masses of people walk between me and the access point.;)

Wow, thats cool stuff.

4. macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

I wonder if the antenna will have a pigtail that is compatible with Cisco and LinkSys routers. Probably and that will be a good thing. Antenna today cost nearly as much as the access points which has kept me from making a purchase. PIA I could really use a good outdoor antenna.