wich pb and moniter configuration?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Rob587, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

well, Ive decided to get a pb with an external moniter. I just run into some problems. Its going to be for college and thats mainly why Im doing it like this. I was thinking either a 12" pb with a 20" apple display, or a 15" pb with a Dell 2005fpw 20" display. The problem I run into is that the 12" would be perfect, but its not fast enough. It would be a downgrade from the PC I have now. I want the speed of the 15" basically (128mb graphics and 1.5ghz) but it just looks kinda wieird to me to plug a 15" pb into a 20" moniter, meaning I feel like the moniter should be bigger in relation to the pb proportion wise and I cant go buy the $1500 23" moniter. So it basically comes down to wanting the 12" and the 20" moniter cuz it feels right but is to slow, and the 15" and the 20" feels bad but is nice and fast. Any suggestions on what I can do?

2. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

I would wait until Tuesday, Thinksecret says the 12" is going to get bumped to 1.5. If this is true, then it would fit you perfect!

3. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

so far thinksecret has been full of s about the powerbooks recently. They say that new ones are comming out every tuesday of this month and they havnt, but I will wait. That would be cool.

4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Yeah, but at 115 days past the average updates - the PBs are overdue. Apple is holding back for some reason. Inventory levels? Supplier issues? In the end I think Apple wants to avoid the debacle of the move from the iMac G4 to the iMac G5.

5. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

A G4 going from 1.33 to 1.5 is a small jump and likely to not even be noticed in many tasks, especially since all the current PBs have the same speed FSB/RAM. Personally, I wouldn't let that .17 GHz sway my decision. The video card, on the other hand, is a different story. If you need 128MB and want to escape the 5200, you have to get the 15" (at least today ... who knows what happens tuesday). The 15" also has a couple nice extra features that might come in handy or are nice, like the available backlit keyboard.

The old Macworld review has some speed comparisons, and the MacSpeedZone has some more. They're just tests, but they can give you an idea.