Wicked fast phone-based access

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by jsw, Jul 22, 2004.

1. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Sorry if this has been previously posted - I didn't see it when I checked briefly.

AT&T just announced incredibly fast phone access - average download speeds of 220-320 kbps with bursts up to 384 kbps. The phones, such as the Nokia 6651 and Motorola A845 (can't find link), support Bluetooth as well, meaning they could be used as modems.

220-320 kbps access for $25 a month? Not too shabby. Sadly, it's only in very limited areas now - Seattle, San Francisco, Phoenix and Detroit (interesting collection of cities).

2. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Have you seen the rumor on MacOSRumors blog? It says that the new G5 powerbooks will have this wireless AT&T technology built in.

http://macosrumors.blogspot.com/

Although I think that these guys are totally full of it, this news makes their rumor more interesting.

3. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

Indeed. And this new service trumps the GPRS/EDGE speeds of the MacOSRumors claim, which I think tops out around 54kbps. It'd be nice to see UMTS in G5 PBs, esp. after UMTS becomes more widespread. I remeber thinking this spring that it was the bee's knees being able to connect via Bluetooth (at a staggering ~20kbps) from out in the middle of nowhere outside of Sedona, AZ. Being able to connect at 300+ kbps would blow me away! Of course, if I were using a PB G5, I'd already be so stunned I'd hardly notice the improved connection speed. ;)

4. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Trust me Seatle is not that far fetched for a city with this as an option. This city is so wired I can't walk down an urban street and most times residential street without losing a wireless connection. :p

Now they are just insuring it. :cool:

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Holy :eek:

By the time this tech gets to the cities I want to live, it'll be 2007 or so. So I guess this means my next phone won't be a GSM phone afterall.

6. yuc7zhd2 macrumors regular

I think verizon already offers a similar service, but If I recall correctly it costs $100 a month.

7. vniow macrumors G4

Sweet.

Yet another reason to move up to San Francisco next summer.

8. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

That's great and all, but how about just getting the damn phones to PLACE AND RECEIVE CALLS reliably. Wireless service, in general (especially here in Chicago) is a disaster.

9. gernb macrumors regular

no joke...it'd be nice if AT&T would just work on making it possible to actually place and receive calls. How many years into this are we? And yet their service in Detroit is total crap.

More than 75% of my calls are dropped on AT&T's all digital network here. Sadly, I'm not overstating the fact just for effect.

I'd gladly take a cell phone / network that works over this new technology.

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

One would think that DC would be one of the cities, but alas we have to wait.

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

This is voice over the internet not for wireless access via a cell phone.