Wicked Slow iPhoto '05

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Harry K., Jan 22, 2005.

1. Harry K. macrumors member

Hi. I have 7,918 photos in iPhoto '05 on my PowerBook G4 12". The app takes five minutes to open and five minutes to do anything. iPhoto 4 was four times faster! What do I need to do? I already have shadows off.

Also, after the first time I opened the app, it took sooooo long to quit it that I just force quit iPhoto '05. Now it doesn't show up with my old albums from iPhoto 4. How can I get them back!?

Thanks.

2. Zaty macrumors 65816

First, of all, repair your permissions.

Secondly, iPhoto 5 has to convert the photo library which may take some time. So, I guess since you forced quit, this process might not have been completed. Did you make a backup of your photo library before installing iPhoto 5? If so, I'd wipe out the photo library and replace it with the backup.

3. Harry K. thread starter macrumors member

How do I repair permissions?

iPhoto loaded and converted my entire library. I played around for a while, even though it was slow. I thought restarting might make it faster so I quit, and it took ten minutes to quit, so I just force quit the app. I only have some of the photos backed up on another hard drive, and most of the photos (not full quality) backed up on my iPod Photo.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

5. Harry K. thread starter macrumors member

iPhoto '05 is a lot faster now, but is still slow on startup and closing. I still don't know how to get my old albums back though.

6. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

On top of that you might want to split up your photo library into smaller multiple libraries. Check out Photo Buddy.

7. Harry K. thread starter macrumors member

Well, I've repaired permissions and still no old albums. Any other ideas?

8. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Take a look in your Pictures > Albums folder. If your old albums aren't listed there they're gone. If they are there, I'm not sure what you do--but at least they're there. It's a starting point.

Regarding the speed, I've noticed that it is slower to start up but it's a lot faster when it's doing its thing.

9. mowogg macrumors 6502

mowogg

iPhoto 5 Much Faster

iPhoto 5 is much faster and runs much more smoothly than version 4 for me. I have about 3,800 images in my library.
    iMovie is also a lot faster and smooth. All in all the new versions rock. iPhoto has one new feature that makes the upgrade a must-have for me- the slide shows now automatically time to the music chosen. Love that!

10. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I am so looking forward to this new iPhoto.

With 5500 and 12 gig of photos I am finding iPhoto 04' now slow and painful without subfolders. Plus adding meta data to each and every photo manually drives me nutz. Is that process any faster under iPhoto?

11. zyuzin4 macrumors 6502

iphoto 5 is a dog on my ibook 700mhz. It was so slow importing my photos and it froze during updating of my library. I ran it on my mac mini and it is exponentially faster. I wouldn't want to run it on a G3

12. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

iMovie doesn't rock... The sharing feature doesn't work at all... Also, how do you edit volume now?...