Wide Area Bonjour Network

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by MacDonaldsd, May 23, 2008.

1. macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Hi,

Me and a few of my friends want to collaborate on a project and I was wondering if we could connect to each other using bonjour ?

We are all using a mac running leopard, but I can't find any easy way of doing it.

2. macrumors G5

Consultant

What you might be thinking about is actually connect with iChat to the computer that has the project opened, and Share screen?

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

iChat via AIM is a bit buggy for us, the screen sharing doesn't always work, which is strange because the video chat always does.

4. macrumors 6502a

tyr2

You can use Network Beacon to create a bonjour proxy to create a bridge between different bonjour networks.

5. thread starter macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

How would I go about setting that up ? The application has no documentation so I am a bit confused.

6. macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

In short, there is no very easy way to configure Bonjour across subnets.

You'll have to setup some sort of mDNS Server where both computers can communicate with as a "Bonjour" server, like in Leopard Server's DNS server.
    Or use something like iChat which uses online accounts.

Maybe something like Google Docs can help you out..?

7. macrumors 6502a

tyr2

Personally I'm not that clear on Network Beacon I just heard that people had used it previously.

I did once get a bonjour network going with hosts being able to connect from anywhere using OpenVPN on a third host.

I.e. Client Machine 1 -> VPN -> OpenVPN Host
    And Client Machine 2 -> VPN -> OpenVPN Host

You must use a TAP based VPN (rather than a TUN network) as the multicast Bonjour packets are not forwarded by OpenVPN on a TUN network.

You should then configure the server mode to be 'server-bridge'. For example

server-bridge 192.168.5.1 255.255.255.0 192.168.5.30 192.168.5.40

This creates a VPN with 192.168.5.1 as the VPN server and each host joining the network gets an address in the 192.168.5.30-40 range.

Bonjour packets route fine over this network and I successfully used it to listen to my remote iTunes shares.

Every host you want to connect to the virtual bonjour network will need to join the VPN. I was using TunnelBlink to manage the VPN on the OS X clients.

8. macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

If your project involves collaboration on any text documents, you might want to give SubEthaEdit a try. :)