Widely Acclaimed Tomb Raider Reboot Arrives in Mac App Store

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 23, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Last year's hit game Tomb Raider, which was critically praised for successfully re-imagining iconic video game character Lara Croft for modern times, is finally available on Mac. The Mac version of the action adventure game, which was ported by Feral Interactive, arrives just under a year after it first launched on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

[​IMG]
    The game launches exclusively on the Mac App Store today, and will arrive on other digital storefronts, like Steam, on January 30. Although Tomb Raider is primarily known for its single-player campaign, it has an online multiplayer component. That multiplayer is not available on the version purchased from the Mac App Store. Players who wish to play online multiplayer will have to purchase the game on Steam, as the game requires a Steam account to take part in its Mac-to-Mac only online play.

Players will need Mac OS X 10.9.1, 14GB of free hard drive space, 4GB RAM, a 512MB graphics card and a processor with at least a 2.0 GHz output. Intel HD 4000 graphics cards will require an Intel i7 CPU or better.

Tomb Raider is available in the Mac App Store for $49.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Widely Acclaimed Tomb Raider Reboot Arrives in Mac App Store

2. macrumors 65816

BklynKid

This game was surprisingly good. Picked it up for the 360 back in November.

3. macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Picked up Limbo from that bundle the other day and haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Plus I have an SNES emulator with Super Metroid. And I never finished Lugaru. I can probably wait for the price to come down before picking this one up. (Plus I haven't bought the SCII expansion, yet. I'll probably pick it up with the second expansion as a bundle when that inevitably becomes available when the second expansion is released.)

4. macrumors 6502a

So what happens if you don't like the game or get tired of it, how do you sell it? Is there a code that could be sold for re dawnload?

5. macrumors member

Digital download makes this kind of thing nearly impossible most of the time, at least legally. Truth is though, I find that even if I get tired of a game, a few years down the road I want to play it again. Selling games never made sense for me anyway.

6. macrumors 68020

guzhogi

I agree. I wish there was a way to sell your downloaded games, eBooks, movies & music, but the publishers wouldn't allow that any time soon, if ever.

I also like to replay games after not playing them for a while. I'm aging myself here, but I just had to buy the old Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade game from Steam. I remember playing it back in 1991 or so. Loved it and still do. Sure the graphics and sound are horrible, but that kind of adds to its charm. :) I played the original Tomb Raider games as well. However, I'm not much of a gamer anymore so $49.99 for game is just too expensive for me.

7. macrumors 68030

MrXiro

I have this for Xbox... great graphics and pretty damn fun. $50 is a bit pricey for how old it is now... but definitely worth the buy if you can find it on sale.

8. macrumors 6502a

springsup

I really don't like it when MAS versions of games/apps get neutered; especially when the price is the same as on Steam.

Sometimes the restrictions aren't the fault of the developer (although that doesn't make me happier - just angry at someone else), but in this case I'm not sure if they couldn't include multiplayer in the MAS version with some kind of Steam login requirement.

9. macrumors 6502a

I'm getting the Definitive Edition tomorrow on PlayStation 4.

10. macrumors 65816

MacSince1990

I'm getting mine for Playstation 5. You still have the 4?

11. macrumors regular

thisisdallas

I understand where you're coming from. But as a major fan of this game (and all previous Tomb Raiders), I can say without a doubt that the multiplayer would've been better off being removed from the game. The single player feels polished and exciting throughout, whereas the multiplayer feels like a cheap ripoff of an already bad game.

You'd be getting the better bargain by not wasting hard drive space on that multiplayer mode IMO.

12. macrumors 6502a

Oh my GOD, I LITERALLY just started playing the exact same thing last week. LOVE IT SO MUCH!!!

I'm playing it with my Xbox 360 controller using custom controls in ControllerMate. Gamepad by Microsoft, computer by Apple, game by Nintendo... SO AWESOME!

Oh, and SCII: Heart of the Swarm is pretty badass too. You'll enjoy it.

13. macrumors 604

chrono1081

Tomb Raider is fantastic. I bought this and The Last of Us at the same time. This is what the series needed badly. I couldn't put this game down.

Once I beat it I started The Last of Us but haven't finished it. Tomb Raider spoiled me because of how freaking good it is. No other game in recent memory captured my attention the way it did.

14. macrumors 6502a

Zellio

You'll be able to sell and trade used games on steam soon, I'd just buy it on steam.

15. macrumors member

I'm laughing at the price. Steam on PC has it for less than $10 and Mac gamers have to pay $50 for it. What a ripoff

16. Icaras, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014

macrumors 601

Icaras

Really? Do you remember where you read this? If so, this is great news!

edit:nevermind. Got off my lazy
    arse and searched :p

17. macrumors 68030

MrXiro

I'm the same... I didn't finish but I'm about 75% of the way through. I picked up The Last of Us and the controls seem so clunky an unintuitive in comparison.

18. JordanNZ, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014

macrumors 6502

I just checked steam.... It's $50 right now.
    This title will also be steamplay. So we're hardly getting 'ripped off'.

19. macrumors 6502a

PUSH THROUGH "THE LAST OF US"! It's absolutely my favorite game of the generation. The first 2-3 hours is slow, but afterward it opens up in every way and gets continuously better. :)

20. macrumors 65816

irnchriz

It's £29.99 on steam here in the UK. No Mac version yet tho.

21. macrumors G3

roadbloc

Best Tomb Raider since The Last Revelation. Back when good old Core Design had the franchise. Hopefully Crystal Dynamics will treat this franchise well now they've successfully rebooted it.

(More puzzles and tombs in the next one pls!!)

22. macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

When will Mac gaming finally get some love like PC does?

Mac games are always too little too late (except for WoW and D3) and too expensive.
    Not to mention they always run better on Windows, even when playing it in Bootcamp.

23. macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

24. macrumors 6502

To bad multiplayer is mac-to-mac only

Why is it like that for some games? Something makes it difficult to implement networking between games running on different operating systems?

25. macrumors 65816

How do you control these games on a mac? Do you get a bluetooth controller, or mouse and keyboard...?