Widescreen DVDs a no-go?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sutekidane, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Jan 26, 2005
    I just got Lord of the Rings on dvd. Its the widescreen version of the movie. I assumed that since I owned a 20" iMac and a 15.2" widescreen powerbook, that it would play in widescreen and look great. However, when I play the movie it has quite large bands at the top and bottom, It looks like only half of the screen is filled up :( . I tried both apple dvd player and VLC with the same result. Any suggestions?
  2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    Very few films are actually filmed in the widescreen that TV's are in (16:9), and I think widescreen monitors are 16:10(?). Most widescreen DVD's are actually leterbox (2.35:1 or there abouts). This is why you have black lines at the top and bottom.
  3. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Your widescreen LCDs have a ratio of 1.66. The DVD movies have a ratio of Panavision which is 1.85, so even on your widescreen LCD, there'll still be black bars on the top and bottom. This is normal. Not all DVDs are 1.85. DVDs such as Sideways use the full anamorphic widescreen aspect ratio of 1.66. To get 1.85, they shrink the image which gives you the black bars.
  4. jimsowden macrumors 68000

Sep 6, 2003
    That would create minimal barage, but like e said, LOTR is 2.35:1 so it is much wider. No screen in the world, save that of the movie theater, could handle that in full screen.
  5. Sutekidane thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 26, 2005
    Thanks for the reply, I don't really have any response except how annoying. *sigh* I guess I'll go back to watching it on 50% of my 20" display.
  6. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Dec 8, 2004
    Toronto, Ontario
    Could be worse...could be pan-and-scan. THEN you'd be full screen :rolleyes: