Widescreen games?

Discussion in 'Games' started by mrgreen4242, Dec 23, 2004.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I'm pretty much sold on an iMac at this point, and I was wondering about games that play in it's native resolution? I put a copy of UT2k4 onto a demo machine at CompUSA and it looked great, except for those black bars on the side of monitor! I didn't see any option to set the resolution to 1440x900 (that's the 17" iMac res, right?), or even to a resolution that matched one of those dimensions (things generally work better at a displays native res, in my experience). Are these setting available in the full game, or with some sort of 'hack'? Do any games support the widescreen displays on new iMac, PBs, and PMs with ACDs?

Thanks,
    Rob

2. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Yea, quite a few of the new and some of the old games support widescreen resolutions. We're getting a 17" iMac too, for X-mas, so I was a bit worried about this as well. From what I read (and don't quote me), UT2k4 is based on the quake engine, which is very versatile when it comes to different resolutions. Search around on the forums here and you'll find the console commands to change the resolution and make the evil little black bars go away.

I've also been told that Medal of Honor and Call of Duty support widescreen displays, as does Warcraft 3.

Good luck, and happy gaming! :cool:

3. 40167 macrumors regular

As far as I know not to many games will run in widescreen; personaly ive never had one run on my ibm system (ibm has the hd display at 1920x1080)... there may be 3rd party patches, but that would just stretch the screen. To get true widescreen the game would have to actualy have the graphical information to fill the black bars; or the game could potentialy cut the top and bottom and then enlarge a bit; but that wouldn't look to great.... It's like having video shot in 4:3; its not that likely to go to 16:9 and look good, but you can easily take 16:9 to 4:3 as youd just cut some information off; you dont have to add or modify it. (other than cutting information out)

I would think that future games will do it though, as many people are starting to use widescreen computer displays. Once they make it for 16:9 then you'll be able to do it, and if the makers are bright they would make it scale to 4:3.. as if not then the old users get bars on the top and bottom, lol.

4. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

MMM Warcraft 3 widescreen... that would be quite an avantage, assuming you were seeing more area than a regular display...

Also, I am pretty certain that non of the Unreal games are built on anything except the current Unreal engine. The Quake3 and Unreal engines are the basis of a lot of other games. Maybe I am wrong, but I think there is quite a rivalry between the two...

Anyways, thanks for the info! :)

5. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Just about every Mac game I play has Widescreen resolutions. WoW, UT 2004, Warcraft 3.

6. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Ah ha... I think I found out how to do it. You have to find the .ini file in your UT2k4 folder, and search for the term SDLDrv. It should show you all the resolutions that you're currently able to run the game at. Just alter them to 1440x900, save the file, and game on. :D

7. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Ahhh nice tip!! Didn't know that

8. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

COD and COD:UO are fantastic in widescreen, you simply alter them in the in game console. Aspyr even provide instructions in a read me file on the disk.

9. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Thanks all, that's the kindof info I was looking for! I'm evem more excited about getting an iMac now :) :) :)

10. Elektronkind macrumors member

I play COD (do not have UO yet)

I have a dual 2Ghz G5 with the ATI 9600 card and the (non-al) 20" ACD. I've tried the "seta r_..." settings in the console to change the screen size to the the appropriate wide screen pixel dimensions and it works, but only to an extent. There is then this highly annoying yellow bar across the top of the screen that FLASHES.

It's almost like texture corruption.

Anyone else with a similar setup notices this bug?

/dale