WIDESCREEN PROBLEMS!!!HELP URGENTLY NEEDED!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gangst, Jan 16, 2005.

1. gangst macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

I've got a very serious problem. I've been shooting a film for ages with my friends and just got editing it and after editing the the first five minutes I saved it and watched it in Quicktime PLayer in fullscreen. To my despair when we were shooting we didn't shoot in widescreen, just standard and now there is a gap at each edgee of the screen, are there any filters, or work arounds to get the film to spread the whole screen. PLEASE HELP.

Thanks.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I don't know crap about video editing, but I do know that the only way you could possibly get a 4:3 recording to 16:9 is to either stretch it and have short fat people, or crop the top and bottom off and have normal people missing feet and heads :eek: :p. Neither of which are very good options.

3. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

He's right you are stuck with 4:3 if you want good quality. :(

4. 3Memos macrumors 6502

What camera were you using?

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Even if you have a camera that records in 16:9 (~1:1.78) aspect, you will still get some letterboxing when you go fullscreen, unless your display is also perfectly 16:9 aspect ratio. All the new Apple displays are actually 8:5 (1:1.6) ratio. My 22" Cinema Display is actually 1:1.5625. But the letterboxing will probably be barerly noticeable and appears as black bars (very thin ones) top and bottom.

6. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

You can crop the original footage and then output it to the 16:9 ratio, but then re-imorting will get distorted unless you use the anamorphic 16:9 settings in the input.

Once you have true 16:9 working in Final Cut, you'll need to letterbox if you intend to run to DVD or VHS, otherwise the 16:9 footage will get pulled back to the 4:3 ratio.

There's a quite comprehensive section about it in the FCP manual, including the steps to letterbox 16:9 into a 4:3 session.

RTFM.... ;) :D