Widget folder requiring authentication

Discussion in 'macOS' started by swindmill, Jun 12, 2005.

1. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

After the latest security update, my widgets folder has been requiring authentication every time I want to add or delete a .wdgt. What do I need to do in order to fix this?

2. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You're putting the widgets into HD>Library>Widgets rather than User>Library>Widgets, I'd guess.

Apple made the system wide widgets folder (the HD>Library ones) require authentication; I'd guess to stop potential malwidgets having access to everything system-wide which I guess if you think about it is the same as having an application require authenticating before it does the same.

User widgets (unless you really want them across all users) should go into your User>Library>Widgets folder which doesn't require authentication.

4. swindmill thread starter macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I haven't changed the location of the folder. I have always put them in HD/Library/widgets, but it just started asking for authentication. How do I repair disk permissions? I have never had to do it before.

5. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Put them in the other widget folder. Do the other people who use your computer really want all your widgets!? (EDIT: Don't move the standard Apple ones out of this folder though)
    Repair permissions:
    1. Apps>Utilities>Disk utility
    2. Click on your drive.
    3. Click "repair disk permissions"\
    4. Wait and you're done.

From now on, use your home folder - DON'T touch the library folders outside your home.
    For a start, if you have to re-install OS X or upgrade, you will loose all the data in the system and global library folders.
    The home folder means a lot more than you might think!

6. swindmill thread starter macrumors 6502a

swindmill

nobody else uses my computer. Putting them in a different folder wouldn't be a problem, I'm just not exactly sure how to move them to User/library.
    There is currently no widget folder in the User/library. Can I just make one and move a copy of my widget folder to that location?

EDIT:

Made a new folder inn User/Library and moved all non-Apple widgets and it works fine now. Thanks