Widget Installation Question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Tuned MP5T, May 11, 2005.

1. Tuned MP5T macrumors regular

I've download two widgets from Apple, but instead of placing them in the widget folder they're place in the user's name folder. It creates a new folder in the user name called widgets. The widget works but it doesn't show up in the widget dock. Any help would be great.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Widgets placed in <user name>/Library/Widgets/ will appear in the widget dock.

3. Tuned MP5T thread starter macrumors regular

Nope didn't work for me. When I close the widget I have to go to folder where it's located to open it again. It doesn't show up in the widget dock.

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Maybe this is an extremely stupid question - I'm not insulting your intelligence at all, just making sure...

Did you check the next group? (Click the little arrow on the left of the Dashboard dock).

5. Tuned MP5T thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I did.

I just downloaded the TV widget and it doesn't show up in the widget dock. Maybe my settings in Safari are screwed up?

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So you can run the widget (double click its file, and it gets added as an active widget in Dashboard), but you can't see it in the dashboard list at the bottom, right? Try "killall Dock" from terminal. After the dock restarts, look in Dashboard.

Sometimes, though, the update of this seems funny. I had a widget called KM-US Doppler, which is an enhanced version of US Doppler. After I installed it, I could launch either version, but only KM showed in the list. :eek: But when I deleted KM-US Doppler and restarted Dashboard, the original US Doppler came back! :eek:

7. Tuned MP5T thread starter macrumors regular

I went into terminal but it doesn't recognize "killall dock".

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Try killall Dock with a *capital* D. I make that mistake all the time. :D

9. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

I just shove my widgets in the widget folder in the library in the HD, not under users, and they work fine.

10. Tuned MP5T thread starter macrumors regular

The widget is on my desktop and then I drag it to the folder. Its in the folder but not in the widget dock.

EDIT: Why are some widgets in Widget Folder under Mac HD and some under the user's name library :confused:

11. Tuned MP5T thread starter macrumors regular

This was what I did to make it work, turned off the open "safe" filess after downloading. So that the widget would be on my desktop. Then I dragged the widget into the correct fold and then did a "killall Dock" from terminal. What do you know it showed up in the widget dock. Thanks mkrishnan

But is it suppose to work like this?

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No. :(

13. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Global (system wide) widgets versus user specific widgets. That way you can add the hula girl without everyone on the system getting it.