Widget Question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Heart Break Kid, May 4, 2005.

1. Heart Break Kid macrumors 6502a

I was just wondering if anyone knows the sollution to a little annoyance I'm having with this widget.

The widget does not save my zip code when I close it. It results in me having to constantly enter it when I re-open the widget.

Is that expected?//normal?

The same applies to the Weather widget

not a big deal, but a little annoying after a while.

2. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

strange, all my widgets save my zipcode BUT you have to leave them up. If you close them and re-drop them on the desktop then they go to their default. I keep my weather widget up all the time so it stays in the correct zip. I try not to keep too many widgets up at once as it eats up RAM.

3. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

I'm not at my Mac right now (at work using horrid horrid Windows) but it might be worth going into the Widget bundle and pouring through the files to see if there is a default zip code and changing it.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

As the others said, if by "close it," you mean going back to the main screen from dashboard, then no, this should not happen. Even when I reload the weather widget, I do not have to do this. Ditto for the US-Doppler radar widget, although the KM-US-Doppler modified version, while vastly better in many respects, when I tried it, seemed buggy, and did default back to the northeast at random times.

But if you mean killing the widget by pressing the Dashboard (+) and then the (X) on the widget, then yes, probably. There's no good reason to do that on a regular basis, though.

Also make sure you have an address card in your address book, with your address including postal code, in it, and identified as "Me." Many widgets can use this information to know where you're located. That might help, too.