Widgets Visible All The Time?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by clayj, Apr 29, 2005.

1. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Yes, I searched for the answer to this question, but could not find it: Is it possible for the Widgets in OS X 10.4 Dashboard to be visible on the screen all the time, like Konfabulator? My keyboard's F-keys turn off each time I switch between machines, so to display the widgets I currently have to reenable the F-keys and then press F12. I was kinda hoping that the widgets could just stay on the screen all the time, same as my application windows.

Does anyone know how/if this can be done? Thanks.

2. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Discussed in at least 2 other threads to date.

Anyway, you can have 1, and only 1, widget on the desktop all the time. I don't have Tiger yet, but from memory it's something like hold down F12 and drag the desired widget to the desktop.

Edit: When you hit F12 again the desktop widget returns to Dashboard.

3. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

Thanks for the info. I *did* look, just didn't see that discussion.

4. panphage macrumors 6502

EDIT: It IS f12, but it's funky. You have to get the widget out of the "Dashboard Widget Bar". You can't use a widget you've already placed in the Dashboard. Or at least I couldn't figure out how to use an already placed widget.

This would be very useful if you could set some preferences like having a few widgets on the desktop or having them stay put when you call in the dashboard.

5. panphage macrumors 6502

This is here for the next guy. Dashboard has a Dev Mode that lets you use it like you actually want to, i.e., multiple widgets on desktop rather than in the "dashboard" itself, and they stay there even when you invoke the dashboard layer. Dunno about logging in and out yet. Too excited. Details here: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050422172929402
    Please note, if you are using case-sensitive HFS (like I am) the actual command should be:
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.dashboard devmode YES
    He's got the Dashboard bit capitalized and that doesn't work if you're filesystem is case sensitive; the file is com.apple.dashboard.plist.