widgets

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by evanrousso, Sep 14, 2006.

1. evanrousso macrumors 6502

What are widgets? Sorry for the stupid question.

2. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/dashboard/

I copy and paste:
    "Dashboard is home to widgets: mini-applications that let you perform common tasks and provide you with fast access to information. With a single click, Dashboard appears, complete with widgets that bring you a world of information — real-time weather, stock tickers, flight information and more — instantly. Dashboard disappears just as easily, so you can get back to what you were doing."

To fully appreciate widgets you have to see them in action.

3. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

They are cool- but not gtreat. Fun littler toys, nothing more. I think some of them would be a LOT more useful if you could pin them to your desktop or something. But you have to go into a different mode to access them...

4. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

From playing with Tiger, the WIdgets aren't that difficult to access. Access is one touch by pressing F11 (I'm not certain if its the right key.but whatever).

Now configuring some of them is a little more difficult :) .

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

They'd be much more useful on the desktop, but some of them are kind of neat. I find them more of a novelty than a necessity, however.

6. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

It's F12. And no, my littlebrother on 7 years was a Dashboard genius after 8 minutes.;)

7. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

the new tickle me elmo widget is coming out when the toy does
    but im not interested

8. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

It took me forever to find the little i so I can change the zipcode for the weather widget. Yeah, it was an extra 2 minues of searching but eventually I got it.

I can't wait to transition over to the MAC world :)

9. Mernak macrumors 6502

Actually you can pin them to you desktop, they just hover over everything else. here is the site

"Want to move a widget to the main window layer? Of course you do. Here's how: go to Terminal and type the command defaults write com.apple.dashboard devmode YES. Still in Terminal, type killall Dock to restart Dashboard (and the Dock). Activate Dashboard (by default, you do that by pressing F12). Find the widget you want to put on the main layer and drag it a bit, but don't let go of the mouse button. While you're still holding the mouse button down, press the Dashboard keystroke again and release it, then release the mouse button. Your widget should now be floating above the Desktop and windows."

I stopped using it after i realized it would hover over all windows and was getting annoying.

10. abeyk macrumors regular

abeyk

I have Yahoo widgets engine and it's comes with some really good ones. some of the best are: a widget for the weather which is very useful, a couple of clocks, a wifi signal widget, and a battery meter. its a free download and works with macs and pcs

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

YeAH, I tried this once and it was kind of cool...but it got old really fast.