Widgets

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Koodauw, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I was just wondering which widgets everyone uses most, and which ones you think are most useful. There isn't a way to search the "most popular" ones on konfabulators site, so I am seeking input from the members here. So if you could, let me know what you think. Feel free to post pics. (Visuals usually help me)

2. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

I use a collection of them - all in the konsposé mode -
    digital clock (the provided version), PowerMate Pulse (only useful if you have a Griffin PowerMate) which the author was kind enough to alter a bit just for me :), Undercover news - an RSS reader for MacRumors made from a fark widget, and TailChaser, for keeping tabs on my Apache log at a glance.

3. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

lets see... right now on my PowerBook is Slickies (a 'Stickies' type widget, that is basically a note pad that slides on and off your screen) and Net Act - very useful for showing data sent and recieved over your connection. because it's good if you can keep a 1:1 ratio... or better. ;)

i dont' have a clock in my menubar right now, so i'm thinking of using a widget clock, but i'm not sure which one? i'm going for a while 'matrix-style' GUI, so i want a clock widget that blends in. i was using 'MiniDigitalClock' (i think that's what it's called) but that was too big. i want a really small clock, that is sort of 'matrix-style', greeny color. if anyone know's one that will suit my purposes, do post a suggestion. :)

4. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

you could always just find a clock widget with the functions you like and mod the graphic elements to your liking - something to think about :)

5. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

yeah, i was thinking about that... maybe that 'OzzClock' widget, but that's a bit big.

or im also thinking CosmoTimeXL might be good to mod. i guess it would be easy to change the text color as well? or even Tube Clock with the elements resized so it doesn't take up so much screen space... might be the ideal 'matrix-style' addition! :D

cool, when i get home i might try this out. will report back.

6. andysmith macrumors 6502

I use The Weather, mini What-To-Do (most useful thing ever :)), mini konsoul (I edited the Konsoul widget to make it smaller - it shows the last line of console.log - useful to press F8 and see the status of any file transfers in Adium), Sleep (another one I created - puts a power button the the desktop), FTP Drop (which I hacked a bit to change the icon and remember my password), and Calendar.

7. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

okay, i just edited some widgets last night to work in better with my Matrix-style. :D

find the full pic here in the October desktops thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=1092738#post1092738

just a pic for comparison of the original widgets and my mods:

[​IMG]

and here's a description of what i did:

• changed the text in NetAct to Monaco, and changed the color.

• then changed the TubeClock from having orange numbers, go green. and also made the border smaller. i like it *much* better with a smaller border.

• then i went to work on FlipClock. i changed the color of it as well, although not quite what i wanted, but those graphics were such a pain to edit, i'm in no rush to change them again. i also managed to get rid of the text on this widget, and i'm going to make the 'label' or 'border' smaller later on. and i also tried to remove the date/month from the left side of the widget, but i only ended up with it bugging up on me. i might need some help with that. ;)