Widow Rents Rotary Phone For 42 Years

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by WildCowboy, Sep 15, 2006.

1. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

And she's paid the phone company over $14,000 for the privilege...

How on earth can any phone company defend renting a phone (sorry, two phones) to their customers for $30 a month?

Linkety

2. adk macrumors 68000

adk

they can defend it by saying that she's had the option to end her lease for the past 40 years and hadn't done so until recently. Is it really the phone company's responsibility to end leases that make them money?

3. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

"I'd like to have my rotary back," she said. "I like that better."

I like it too. :) But it's bad business for AT&T to fleece their customers. Corporate greed at its finest.

4. aquajet macrumors 68020

Maybe so, but it was Grandma that had been writing the check for 40 years without investigating other possibilities. If she feels swindled, then it's her own fault.

On the other hand, rotary phones aren't exactly common these days. So maybe she kept paying because she really liked her old phone. You don't just throw away forty years, ya know?

5. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

thats not fair at all. At&T is supposed to check all its customers bills to make sure they aren't doing something like this? I don't think so. She should read her bill. If anything AT&T was just serving their customer, THIS IS THE CUSTOMER'S FAULT.

Are you crying a river for people in credit card debt? Probably not you consider it a willful decision for the most part, this was also one. Unless she never left the house she knew there were knew phones and she knew that she could get them for $100 or less. Since when is ignorance mean that there is greed.

6. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

i wonder if this could go to the Guinness book for most expensive rotary phone

7. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

8. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

9. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Yeah that was the first thing I noticed upon opening the article...never mind that its 'Ester Strogen'. Say that fast. :p

10. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It seems to be a true story, but the rental fees were less than what the grandchildren believed. The rental is billed quarterly, although the phone bill arrives monthly.

That's not exactly a bargain, but the long term total seems to have been closer to $2000 than $14000 (rentals were much cheaper in the past).

link

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

More like American b*tching at it's finest going by the reaction of her adult children.

The phone company was offering an optional service that the customer never decided to cancel. It's not like she moved out of that house 40 yrs ago and was still getting billed for telephone service there or something.

Lethal

12. CompUser Guest

My grandma was doing the same thing until a few years ago until my dad looked at her bills. And yes, they were rotary phones she was renting.