Widscreen on the iPod

Discussion in 'iPod' started by eoguy, Dec 9, 2005.

1. eoguy macrumors newbie

I've been trying to figure out how to change the full screen option on the video iPod to widescreen. I know how to transfer a DVD into the iPod using the tutorial that was posted on the main page: http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/guides.html

The DVD I'm trying to view on the iPod is is widescreen, but for some reason, even if the "widescreen" option is turned on in the iPod, it still doens't work that way. It seems to smash the movie just a little.

If anyone has figured out, or knows how to make it work properly, or know the correct resolutions or something, please let me know. Thanks!

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

If the widescreen option is on, it will display the movie in it's correct ratio with black bars at top and bottom. When you turn it off, the iPod will select the middle portion of the video and expand it to fit the screen - it will look funny and thus it is best to keep widescreen on to view movies.

3. eoguy thread starter macrumors newbie

It didn't work that way though, and whether widescreen is on or off it still looks like a 16:9 movie incorrectly displayed on a 4:3 screen. Was this a problem during the DVD ripping process?

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Must have been, I can't help you with that though.

5. john159 macrumors regular

i dont have an answer to your question, but to tell you the same thing, i cannot view most of my vids in widescreen.. wierd... your not alone :(

EDIT: I downloaded eps of lost too for my ipod, and i cant seem to view those in wide screen, wierd... (is it because it isnt meant to be viewed in widescreen, i dunt kno just wondering)

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Are you both using that Videora program? Cause I use Handbrake, as does the Apple Centre near me and their ripped movies work in widescreen just fine.

7. eoguy thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd use Handbrake, but apparently it's only for Macs. I've searched the net for the solution to this problem, but few people seem to have addressed it, which I find amusing because it reveals how many fools watch DVDs on their 4:3 TV with the incorrect settings.

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The Lost eps are in 4:3.

9. john159 macrumors regular

yeh i figured, thats why lost wasnt playing with widescreen, and yes i use videora, so it must be a problem with that.. thanks