wierd green vertical line through the screen (iBook G3)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Kyle Nerder, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Kyle Nerder macrumors regular

Kyle Nerder

I think my iBook G3 700mhz is on its last legs. I've had the thing for close to 4 years and the only problem ever was the logic board. The logic board was replaced under warranty with the logic board repair program.

Also there is no Apple Care on this.

Anyways, a random green vertical line is on my screen. It is in the middle of the page and runs right from the top to the bottom.

If I bump the case the line will disappear, but it comes back eventually.

The odd thing is if I move the cursor over it, the cursor is on top of the line, but all windows are behind the line.

Any thoughts anyone? Or I am getting closer and closer to buying a mac book?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It could be a loose GPU connection. Are you very confident about delving inside to make sure the cable is connected tightly? :)

3. Kyle Nerder thread starter macrumors regular

Kyle Nerder

I don't mind splitting the thing open, just it is a matter of time.

Funny thing though, today I booted it up and it was fine. Even if I bumped the machine hard.

Who knows what all happened yesterday. I'll keep an eye on it and it happens again, I'll rip it apart. Is there any service manuals out there for download?

I'd buy the new MacBook to replace it if I just hadn't bought a car....

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

5. Kyle Nerder thread starter macrumors regular

Kyle Nerder

Hopefully this works out. I'll be ripping it apart Sunday.

Thanks Mad Jew, you've been helpful numerous times

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No worries mate. Good luck, and remember to use double sided tape or an ice tray to keep all like-sized screws together. :)

7. Kyle Nerder thread starter macrumors regular

Kyle Nerder

Well my iBook finally died. It was the logic board. I know this because I have been through this before. I got crazy rainbow coloured stripes across this screen and then the video starts to cut out.

The only thing is Apple is no longer supporting the logic board repair program. You would think they would remove it from their web site if they no longer offer it. :mad:

So I called around to have it replaced. It seems to be around $700CDN to have it replaced. I thought that was a joke. A MacBook is not in my budget right now, so i went a friend computer recycling business and grabbed a 450mhz iMac to get me by at the office. Plus I have ordered a gig of ram.

Is it worth parting out a G3 iBook? Battery, charger, screen, key-board etc etc. What's this stuff worth?

Thanks again for your help

8. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

I would think so. You may also try selling it to iFixit, from their website you can fill out a form and they will email you a offer. You will get less of course, but it would quicker.

9. Kyle Nerder thread starter macrumors regular

Kyle Nerder

10. cedge20 macrumors newbie

I just had the same problem!

My G3 iBook also just got vertical stripes. I popped out the battery and re-started. The last time this happened (2002), I had to replace the logic board. Is it on its last legs? Also just upgraded to Tiger. Have never opened it up (except to install Airport card), and not sure I have the guts to. :(

11. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Sometimes you can beg Apple to still fix it, if you can go to a store or something. They are still allowed to make exceptions to the fact that the logic board replacement program ended if they feel necessary.

12. cedge20 macrumors newbie

Logic board repair program

Thanks! I'd also just done a search and got the information, so will give the Geniuses a try :rolleyes:
    I too am not quite in a position to go for a new MacBook, having just this summer got an Intel iMac

13. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

I find the best way is a diagram on a piece of cardboard, because you can punch the screws into their place. That way you never forget where they go either. Old mechanic's trick.

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Nice tip. :cool:

Some of the screws are quite small so you'd have to be careful not to lose them in the cardboard, but I can otherwise see that working quite well. :)