Wierd **** happening.... (computer freezing)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Nighteater537, May 16, 2006.

1. Nighteater537 macrumors member

Ok my computer has been freezing up alot and has even crashed twice, now on the second crash when i rebooted, it would not detect my hard drive, my blood goes cold, So i pop in DiskWarrior and rebuild the drive, and it is working now, HOwever it still is freezing, anyone know why>

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Does freeze = spinning beachball cursor, or does freeze = kernel panic (computer completely unresponsive, perhaps the screen grays out and shows a message asking you to reboot in multiple languages)?

In either event, when did it start freezing up? How much RAM do you have, and have you recently added any? If you have more than one memory module, see if you can remove the added memory temporarily and see if you get a resolution that way. Frequent crashing is sometimes a sign of bad RAM.

3. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Perhaps the ram is bad. Remove any additional ram, and see if the problem persists.

Also, what errors, if any, did Disk Warrior find?

Is it freezing only when using a particular app?

4. Nighteater537 thread starter macrumors member

it just freezes with the spinnign beach ball, mustly with safri, i am about to start hard ware test, Disk Warrior report is attached http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=47669&stc=1&d=1147811314

Attached Files:

5. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Sounds to me like your disk drive is in the processes of going south, and you have suffered file corruption. You won't be able to fix it without a reinstall of the OS and software, but you don't want to do that on your current disk. In short, you need to reinstall on a new disk. Obviously, I have no way of being certain of my conclusion, but that's my best guess based on what you've described.

6. Nighteater537 thread starter macrumors member

ok, right now i am using Techtool and performing all the test, i will upload the datalater as i have to go to work now

7. Nighteater537 thread starter macrumors member

Attached Files:

8. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Dude, filter your results.

Blocks will fail over time. Zero out the drive, and hopefully it will remap the drive to note these failed blocks. This doesn’t mean the drive is immanently failing, as the failure could have been caused by a number of external problems, heat, reversion (likely),etc.... There are likely more blocks that are bad. Zero and reinstall the OS. If you can get a new drive, you might want to think about it. TechTools can't fix this kind of error.

Even though the SMART status is "Okay" (why not good or verified- 'Ok'...? but I digress), the drive could be failing. This only measures read/write and internal communication errors, not surface defects or communication problems. Something else may be going bad.

I suppose all of this was in that report, I just looked for "failed".

Others chime in.

9. Nighteater537 thread starter macrumors member

The drive has failed, it is nolonger detected by
    -the computer
    -disk warrior
    -disk utility

So anyporgrams that may recover it.?

10. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

So you didn't back up your important stuff at the first sign of trouble?